Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello, I thought i'd do a quick review of the U3 filter

Name-Fluval U3 Internal filter

Flow Rate-600 litres per hour

Tank Size-90-150

Wattage-7.5 watts

Price (cheapest I could find in the UK)-£28.32

Pros- Virtually silent running, convenient easy to remove media baskets, the abilty to tilt the filter forwards to about a 30 degree angle to remove the media baskets without removing the filter, Option of three output modes.

Cons-Relatively small media space, quite bulky and noticable in a smaller tank, the occasional drop in flow (which is inevitable).

41Loq30suOL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Conclusion-This filter is good for a low to medium stocked tank and for planted tanks. The qualtiy of certain components (lid, hinged bracket attached to glass) is sometimes questioned, but overall a reasonable filter for it's price

7 out of 10

I hope this helped people who are looking to buy this filter :good:

I have a u3 in a 90 ltr corner tank and its a pain in the butt,1, fish tend to get trapped in the bracket behind it, 2, with it being a corner tank its a pain to get to, I suppose if it was in a normal tank that would not be a problem, 3, after cleaning,the impellor for some unknown reason tends to get stuck and you have to dismantle the whole thing again, 4, I find it so fiddly to seperate the motor from the filter housing.
I am looking for an external filter because for me the u3 is not for me!

Also have a look at this thread.....http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/395747-fluval-u4-filter-securing-brackets/

As you probably noticed, i did comment on the bracket. Experiences and opinions will vary from person to person, but if i give my thoughts, feelings and opinions on it, people can look at other reviews out there and peice them together and think of it what they will :)

Most reactions

Back