Fluval Pumping Out 'crap'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Villy Valley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I only have a small tank 29ltr and a basic fluval pump. I do a water change every Wednesday and clean out the sponge filter in the pump at the same time ie. yesterday. All was well until about half an hour ago and the tank is full of crap floating around - the pump is pumping it out. That is a lot of crap for a 24hr period and why is it doing it. I have taken it out again and cleaned it again and taken some of the water out and replaced with fresh but the pump doesn't seem to be clearing it yet - is it likely too or has it all gone wrong.

Mmmmm

Villy :S

I only have a small tank 29ltr and a basic fluval pump. I do a water change every Wednesday and clean out the sponge filter in the pump at the same time ie. yesterday. All was well until about half an hour ago and the tank is full of crap floating around - the pump is pumping it out. That is a lot of crap for a 24hr period and why is it doing it. I have taken it out again and cleaned it again and taken some of the water out and replaced with fresh but the pump doesn't seem to be clearing it yet - is it likely too or has it all gone wrong.

Mmmmm

what make of fluval is?

and did you clean the sponge in old tank water to keep the bacteria alive?

I think its called Fluval 4

Yes I always clean it in drained off tank water and return it to the tank wet as opposed to squeezed out.

It seems to be working again fine now - but not sure why it did it. :/

Villy

Mmmmm

are you washing the sponge in tap water or tank water ?

you are also washing the sponge to oftern if you are washing it once per week you only need to wash it once per month as it take about a week for the good bacteria to regain strenght after washing

I find that when I've cleaned any of my filters, and then put them back n the tank, when you first plug them in, they expel some 'gunk' which is just the mulm that is inside the impeller assembly etc, and any other lose material that is in the filter.

I find that after an hour or so it's just sucked back into the filter again ;)

Andy

Hi Villy

If you still have the Ribbed Pipes, i.e. the original hose it came with the filter, this could be your problem.
The gunk gets stuck in the ribbed parts and when it is switched back on, the gunk moves out of the gaps and comes outs into the tank.

You could buy smooth piping and it should solve the problem
This is what I have heard that can happen, but it could be something else :D

Hope this helps

Lab
:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back