Fluval Filters.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppieMike

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place. I did have a look around.

I have a question about fluval filters. I was told at the pet shop that they are the best filters to have.

I have a 55ltr and 155ltr filter, both start out really good powerful flow etc and over time they power of the flow decreases to like a dribble and, now my 55ltr one has stopped all together.

When I say stopped there is no flow going out the top.

Has anyone else got this problem or is it just me. Also is there a way to keep it on a strong flow.

What fluval filters do you have?

U2, U3, 206 etc ?

What filter media do you have in this filter?

Do you regualrly clean / do maintenance on your filter?

And if you have not cleaned the filter in a while then there could be a build up of gunk in your impeller housing or pipes which will explain the loss of flow over time and even stopping altogether.

I have used Fluval U2 filter before, got to say it does exactly what it says on the box, a good solidly built filter, even if a little bulky sized but decent value for money imo.

They're good filters, but all of them will go the same way if they clog up. Often the culprit is mulmed up media, usually the fine floss stuff, or, as Charlie says, gunk in the impeller housing.

GuppieMike said:
I was told at the pet shop that they are the best filters to have.
Fluval is a recognized brand in the hobby and often backed by a strong customer support staff (in my experience), but calling them "the best filters to have" is just one person's opinion. I am currently using the U2 in a nano, and as Charlie mentioned it is a little powerhouse of a filter although a bit bulky.

GuppieMike said:
...both start out really good powerful flow etc and over time they power of the flow decreases to like a dribble and, now my 55ltr one has stopped all together.
When we see some answers to Charlie's questions we can help out more.

GuppieMike said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place. I did have a look around.

I have a question about fluval filters. I was told at the pet shop that they are the best filters to have.

Yup, as Texx says, that's just one person's opinion.  If you are discussing canisters, I've heard the top 3 brands are (in order): Eheim, Eheim, Eheim.

But, again that's just someone else's opinion.  Fluval are good though.

ALL filters will slow their flow as they run... that's part of the process.  They need to be cleaned, roughly every month - to get rid of the extra gunk that builds up.  By design they get gunked up with all the stuff you don't want in the tank.  You need to remove it to restore the flow.  

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm at the work at the moment so unable to check what model their are.

I know my 55ltr one only has the black sponge in and the 150lte has the three, one black, white pellet things and can't remember the third.

Sorry for the double post...

My large 155ltr is a u3 model. I realised that when u remove the middle section the power flow returns to be really strong. That's the section with the white pellets.

Was I meant to take them out the plastic or take them out?

We all have moments like these.

If you're ever unsure or stuck, just ask and we'll help you out with advice and information :)

BiggTexx said:
Was I meant to take them out the plastic or take them out?
My first setup of the U2 and I did the EXACT same thing.  
Its nice to know I'm not the only one, I'm guessing this has affected my cycle

The cycle is a trickier subject.  Your tank still may have cycled using sponges only, so as long as you didn't harm the bacteria on the sponges you should be OK.

I use a 406 external , bought it 2nd hand and had it for over a year....

The primer broke the first day I had it and it's a little noisy at times but I can't fault it.

I usually clean it once a month these days, but I previously left it for 7 months and the flow barely decreases at all.

I'd buy another tomorrow if I had another tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back