Fluval 306 rattling

So, am I to take it that on full flow the filter is a lot quieter(IE the rattle is diminished)? If that's the case then it seems to me that when you added the poly filter material it restricted the flow of water through the filter and that's why the impeller became noisy.

Those mini loops in your hoses aren't doing you any favours. You want them to run up to the tank with no downhill bits, or down from the tank with no uphill bits. It really does make priming the system, and clearing air very much easier. Moving the filter from side to side as you mentioned in one of the early posts really only works when the air has a direct route back to the tank.

I used to hate cleaning canisters until I figured that out because it always took so long to get everything working nicely. Now it just takes care of itself. Even if air does get in it usually finds its own way out without any help from me.

Those mini loops in your hoses aren't doing you any favours. You want them to run up to the tank with no downhill bits, or down from the tank with no uphill bits. It really does make priming the system, and clearing air very much easier. Moving the filter from side to side as you mentioned in one of the early posts really only works when the air has a direct route back to the tank.

I used to hate cleaning canisters until I figured that out because it always took so long to get everything working nicely. Now it just takes care of itself. Even if air does get in it usually finds its own way out without any help from me.

I wondered about the loop and the length of the hoses. But like I said, when I first set up the filter it didn't rattle at all, and was nearly silent. The rattle started after I added the Poly-Fil. This is frustrating, I've never had a problem with Fluval canister filters before. I have a 406 and a 206 on other tanks, although I don't have Poly-Fil in them. I'm kind of considering running two HOB filters instead of the canister. I've got a Tidal 110 on it now, and have a new Tidal 75 I could add.

I'm kind of considering running two HOB filters instead of the canister. I've got a Tidal 110 on it now, and have a new Tidal 75 I could add.
:eek: How big is the tank and what is in it? I have a tidal 50 running in a 200l tank and that's more than enough. Probably about the right size for a 306. I used to have a 406 in there but only because I had it and it was alrready cycled when I downsized my previous tank. I never bothered to replace the pump when it finally died after around 15 years.

:eek: How big is the tank and what is in it? I have a tidal 50 running in a 200l tank and that's more than enough. Probably about the right size for a 306. I used to have a 406 in there but only because I had it and it was alrready cycled when I downsized my previous tank. I never bothered to replace the pump when it finally died after around 15 years.

It's a 46 gallon (174L) bowfront. Right now, there are 20 rosy minnows in it.

Attachments

• 46_102219_01.jpg
    46_102219_01.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 113
Do you mean Pimephales promelas? We don't see them much in the UK because their import is restricted and are not permitted (legally) to be kept in a garden pond.

If that is what they are they inhabit calm streams and lakes in the wild (often poorly oxyenated) - so 2 HOBs would definitely be overkill. Either of your existing filters would be perfectly adequate on their own, possibly with a preferance for the 306 as it has a lower and more controllable flow.

Eventually I will add more fish, and prefer too much filtration to adequate filtration.

There is a difference between too much filtration and too much water flow.

It is possible to add more filtration than a tank needs but to no benefit. Provided there are enough bacteria in the tank for the fish, adding more filtration does nothing.
More water flow can be detrimental to the fish. Some come from fast flowing streams and are 'happy' with lots of flow. But fish from slow moving rivers and lakes will be stressed by too much water flow.

I unplugged the filter for a couple of days, and when I plugged it back in the rattling has stopped. Weird.

I would assume so. But now the tank is getting cloudy again, even with both the Tidal 110 and Fluval 306 running.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back