Fluorescent Blue Light Flickering In Fish Tank Lid

Ellieabbott4

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I came home from work to find that my Fluorescent blue light is flickering on and off. It's like it's trying to come on but not quite making it. Any suggestions of what might be wrong with it? Will it need a new bulb?

does it have a little battery size thing inside it?

I remember with the first tank I had, the hood lights had a strange little fuse that you had to fiddle sometimes to make them come on. Maybe that's loose or needs replacing :)

It looks like a little canister 

yes thats what i was talking about :p

I can't see any canister type things. There is a bit where the wire goes in, then in the lid there is just the connection for the bulb.....

hmmmm. not sure what to tell ya.  :( 

Hello,

Assuming that you don't just have a poor connection in one of the tube sockets then I'd suggest that your tube is reaching end of life. If your tubes do have starters (which **might** [rarely] actually be hidden) then you have a magnetic ballast (The ballast  "controls" the tubes). In this case it is important to switch off and don't use the lights until you have changed the tube. A failing tube can generate excessive heat which can damage (overheat/melt) your tube sockets and even destroy the ballast.

Most modern electronic ballasts (which have no starter) have tube monitoring circuits... these switch off automatically if certain tube operating conditions occur... It is possible that your tube is **approaching** end of life but has not fully triggered the switch off phase.

This said, I've seen some truely appalling hybrid ballasts.. best described as junk.. It's difficult to say what is fitted to your lighting unit as aquarium manufacturers often change ballast suppliers during a manufacturing run..

If you can, try replacing the tube with a known good one and see if there is any difference..

If you are still having problems, then post here and we'll go from there.

Bodge99.

Thanks bodge99. I am going to buy a new tube today and see if that works. Either way, if it does or doesn't I will let you know :)

Most reactions

Back