Flourite Vs Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shandylawson

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all...

I've looked through the forum but haven't found a definitive answer. I have a moderately-planted 29-gallon Biocube that's been up and running for about six weeks. When I first set it up, my LFS sent me home with flourite substrate, but I'm now thinking I'd prefer sand instead.

Is the flourite necessary to support the plants, or can I swap it out with sand and add nutrient supplements instead?

(Long-time lurker on the forum, I've learned a lot here already. Thanks in advance!)

I have used both, and personally would not again waste money on Flourite.  I had this as the sole substrate material in my 70g for two years before I tore the tank down and replaced the substrate with play sand.  Now, two years after that, the plants look just as good (some are better).  I haven't actually figured out what Flourite (and the basically identical Eco-Complete) are supposed to do; I do know that it does not release nutrients in the way that adding substrate fertilizer tabs and liquid fertilizers do.  I had to use both of these with Flourite just as I do with fine gravel or sand in order to keep the plants healthy.

Another issue with Flourite is fish.  Substrate fish can have problems; I had to remove the corys from the tank when I had Flourite because it was too rough and cut into their mouths.  They have recovered over sand.  So if you intend corys, or other substrate fish such as loaches, and those feeding from the substrate like smaller cichlids, I would not use Flourite but sand so these fish can sift it through their gills safely.

It took me many years (more than 15 actually) in the hobby before I tried sand, and now, six years later, I have play sand in six of seven tanks in my fish room.  I would not use anything else.  Play sand is very inexpensive, natural in appearance, plants grow well, and I have had no fish problems related to the substrate.

Byron.

Exactly the answer I was hoping for... Thanks Byron!

I used CaribSea Eco Complete Planted Substrate and hated it, I  removed it.

My BN plecos were always stiring it up making the water dirty. And TBH I did not see any improvement in my plants.

Thanks... hopefully I'll make the change this weekend. My only problem is I live in the city and buying a 50-lb bag of sand isn't as simple as throwing it in your car and driving home. I'll have to cough up the cash for a taxi unless I want to carry it on the bus for half an hour.

Still, given how cheap play sand is, I probably shouldn't complain about a $20 cab ride...

Pool filter stand is also an excellent substrate.  It's very fine, clean, and white.  Cory's love it and it's easy to clean as you can see any debris/poop on the surface.  A 50# bag is about $12 here in the states.

I grabbed a 50-pound bag of play sand at Home Depot and lugged it home on the train. Sore arms, but ready to make the switch tomorrow night... Thanks for the help, everyone.

Wash the sand first, And I mean really wash it, Just when you think its clean wash it 1 more time.

Excellent.  As Nick says, it does take a lot of washing.  But you don't need it crystal clean, it is after all only dirt, and minimal at that but what is left after washing will settle into the substrate and can be useful for plants.

I have found that you can minimize the cloudy water by layering the washed sand into the tank, arrange it as you want (terraces, etc, using rock and wood as you intend), add about six inches of water and plant any substrate-rooted plants.  Then siphon out the water down to the sand.  Now fill the tank; using a dish like a soup bowl or similar to run the water into avoids stirring up too much sand and dirt.

Byron.

Great advice as always. Thanks! I'll let you know how I made out tomorrow...

Made the switch last night... it could have been a major project but I was *just* smart enough to write down the process step by step so I wouldn't be be surprised by not having enough buckets or some other detail. It went pretty smoothly, all in all.

The tank looks great (I'll post an updated photo in my journal thread when the water has cleared) and everybody seems pretty happy. And as a bonus, an Amano shrimp that I thought had died a month ago turned up alive and well in one of my filter chambers. I think he faked his own death to get away from the catfish.

Good work.  Looking forward to the photos.  BTW, it can take a while for the water to clear, I have had this last from a couple days to a couple weeks.  Just give it time.  There is not only the sediment in the sand clouding the water, but of course the normal bacterial bloom of new setups, and changing the substrate in any tank is basically creating a new setup as the multitude of various bacteria in the substrate are gone.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back