Floss

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've heard that floss is a good thing to replace the carbon filter with but I can't seem to find it anyway in any petstore? Anyone know where you can get it?

There should be some at Petsmart... Just ask an associate and they should be able to direct you to it.

It would no doubt be cheaper to get it from an lfs, though maybe by a dollar or so. You should be able to find it at either, though.

I'll have to check again and see if they have it, all they had last time was fiber which I am using that now.. and some course sponge for some canister filter.

The fiber shoudl be it, no? I threw away my wrapper. I don't think it will say "floss", it's probably another word for the same thing.

FISHAREFUN said:
Filter floss is the same thing as fiber or wool. I got a big bag of filter FIBER from Petsmart for about $3.
Just out of curiosity, how often do you change your floss? Mine seems to get a little brown looking after a week or so.

I've had it for about 5-6 weeks now. During my weekly pwc's I clean it out in a bucket of aquarium water. Since I also have two filter cartridges and two bio-wheels I really rinse the floss out good. Yeah, it turns colors very quickly but that's because it does a good job with the mechanical filtration.

FISHAREFUN said:
I've had it for about 5-6 weeks now. During my weekly pwc's I clean it out in a bucket of aquarium water. Since I also have two filter cartridges and two bio-wheels I really rinse the floss out good. Yeah, it turns colors very quickly but that's because it does a good job with the mechanical filtration.
Thanks for the reply. Because the floss is so cheap I just throw it out. I never thought of cleaning it.

Most reactions

Back