Floating Cory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CluelessScot

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All

Was out today looking at some fish stores and went to a new store and was so impressed :eek: never seen such nice and well looked after tanks and fish :) They stock mostly rarer fish most places dont have and its rather expencive :S had a few zebra plecs :wub: So i was looking for corys and a bronze cory caught my eye... it was HUGE so i asked about it and the lady told me that some people like to have adult corys so she always trys to stock them... after looking another 2 mins i find Peppered corys and wee they were huge too. So at £3 each i had to get them :) :) :) must have spent like 15 mins just watching them and looking them over.

So i get them home and i notice that the largest one was floating about 2" off the sand... he swam back down and slowly drifted buck up again and i have never seen that before :/ Is this something to be worried about? he stopped doing it now so i dont know if it was a stress thing or not?

Thanks

Kev

I've seen mine do it except I don't have the kind you do they will just hover over the gravel then they go back down to the bottom to keep scavening.

Hi CluelessScot :)

Give him a day to adjust to your tank and then see what he is doing. As long as he is in control of himself and not swimming erratically, he might be fine.

When you find fully grown specimens of either bronze or peppered corys, it often means that they are wild caught fish. This is unusual because they are almost always tank raised these days, and you are lucky if this is what they are. The wild caught peppered corys are said to have better colors than the others. This is something you might want to call them and ask about.

Did you get both males and females? :unsure:

Hi peeps,

thanks for the replys :) They all look great today and the panic seems to be over :D i will fone the shop up when i get back from college today and see what they say. They do look more colourful tho, 2 seem to have better markings and rather darker but it looks nice and the biggest is kinda washed out. As for sexing ive tried but i cannot tell :X the larger of the three looks wider than the other 2, but i just bought all the largest ones.

Kev

I'd say you have at least 2 females there: the big nice looking one and the one in the first picture that is so thin. She is the one to worry about.

It will help if you keep the tank very clean and feed them lots of high protein food like bloodworms. If they are wild caught, they might have been through a lot on their trip from the river to your tank and will be beautiful once they recover. If not, they could just be old fish. It would really help you know what to expect if you had some idea where they came from. The lfs owner or manager should know if they were imported, and if so from where.

Thanks inchworm

Feeding bloodworm, Algea wafers and Sera nip.. Sera nip is a high protein tablet which every fish goes nuts for :eek: so im doing like a day of that then next day bloodworm and so on. The pale one dont seem to like the wafers but the rest do, she swims about and eats anything esle and this was the cory that was at first floating :(

Kev

I've never heard of Sera nip, but it sounds like good stuff! :nod:

As long as she is eating, it's a good sign. It's going to take a while for her to recover, but have patience. Her barbels and fins look in good condition, so she might well just have not eaten much for a while.

Whatever happened to her, it was very stressful, and now you must make her as comfortable as possible while she gets well. This means protecting her from any additional stress so that she doesn't get a bacterial infection. To do that, keep the tank clean, the water parameters normal, and do regular good water changes. If she is just run down, nature will heal her in time.

I'm hoping for the best for her. If you are like me, she will become your special pet. :thumbs:

thanks again inch :)

im just watching her sleep in the cave... think i need more cos 7 dont fit in there now lol one of the new corys likes to swim about the upper sections of the tank, that normal? never seen my other corys do that :rolleyes:

Kev

When a cory spends much time swimming in the upper part of the aquarium, it usually means that it is trying to get more oxygen. It seems like this one is having a little trouble adjusting too. :/

If your other fish do not have trouble handling salt in the water, you might want to try adding one teaspoon of aquarium salt for each 10 gallons in your tank. This won't hurt the corys, if you only leave it in for a week or two, and might make it easier for them to settle in. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back