Flirting Discus

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I have 3 x Red Discus and 3 x Blue Discus growing up in a 4ft x 18" x 2ft deep tank and it looks very much like they've just past puberty and the one Blue is starting to flirt with a Red......

Personally I'm not sure if I should sacrifice the chance of a breeding pair by splitting the Reds & Blues or go for a mixed wedding here, cause I was very dissapointed when I allowed my Guppies, Platties and Mollies to do this....... I'm now sitting a coupla "not so nice" looking bastards (& I'm not swearing) that I cannot get rid of.

If I mix breed my Discus, will they go the same route??
 
You never know what you will get out of it. If the pair spawn they may turn out beautiful fry but on the other hand they may be ugly and you could be left with them. Its a hard one matey and i don't envy you the choice.

If it was my opinion i would let them breed and see what happened. I think it would be worth the risk.

Good luck

Craig
 
i wouldn't let them, as in the big picture you are destroying the purer breeds and well overall making the discus fish uglier.
 
it depends on what type the blues and reds are, if the reds are pigeonblood or red marbrough the fry will all be pigeonbloods and have heavy peppering (black spots on body) which doesn't look good, if they are red turks it would be a good cross. have you a photo of fish in question
regards Angel
 

Most reactions

Back
Top