flashing and scratching

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kerry Glass

Reaction score
I have a 35 gallon tank wit 6 white clouds and 5 half grown
bronze corydoras. The white clouds are flashing and scratching and then stop eating and wither up and die one at a time.The catfish are ok so far . Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is at 5. Gh 13. Temperature is 73 degrees.Tank has been set up for three months. I do 50 percent water changes weekly. Could this be caused by gill flukes and what is the best way to treat it?

Do you see any white spots or anything that looks like gold dust? Could you post some pictures and maybe a short video?

Do you see any white spots or anything that looks like gold dust? Could you post some pictures and maybe a short video?
There are no white spots on the fish. I'm sure it's not rich. The water is a little cloudy. It looks like very fine dust floating in it . When I turn down the flow on the sponge filter some of it floats on the surface . I thought that might be some residue from the play sand substrate but I'm not sure

I would do a big 75% water change and see if that helps. If not, do 50% water changes every day for a week and see if they improve. You could also try adding some aquarium salt.

I agree to up the water changes. I would hold off on the salt for the moment, but it is also an option as I'll explain.

Flashing can occur due to a number of issues. This is why it is always so difficult to diagnose a disease/problem, and especially for anyone who has not experienced the disease first hand. Stores want to sell you additives as some sort of mysterious cure-this or cure-all, and usually these only make things worse.

Flashing can mean the onset of ich or velvet; this is because these parasites first attack fish in the gills where we cannot see them. Other parasites can cause the same reaction, as can water issues like ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate (none of these here, but they are also causes), or an inappropriate pH or GH.

Usually you will see increased rates of respiration combined with the flashing. Cories are especially easy to see this in, but keep in mind that activity including eating will increase their rate of respiration.

As a first response whenever I see anything amiss, I do a massive water change. More than once I have cleared up whatever an issue was solely by a large water change. If this were me, I would do the water change(s) and only resort to salt (or heat) f there is no improvement or it worsens.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back