[Fixed] Broken Filter?

Headshrinker

Reaction score
I have an Eheim Pro 4+ 600 external filter.

I cleaned my filter today as part of my usual maintenance. It was working fine before switching off.

After putting it back together, the filter doesnt work, it seems it doesnt even try to spin. I've checked the impeller and the magnet is cracked in two places. I've ordered a replacement but worried that it's a bigger problem. Would the filter not spin at all or even try to spin just because of the cracked magnet?

Thanks,

Paul

Hello Paul. Your conclusion is definitely possible. However, you've taken steps to fix the problem, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can easily change out more tank water and do it more often while you're waiting for the replacement part. The mechanical system really isn't the true filter as much as the water change. The filter simply takes in dirty water and returns it to the tank a little bit less dirty. The water change removes the old, toxic water and replaces it with new, clean water and all the new, treated water dilutes the leftover toxins to a safe level. So, increase the water change routine until your new filter piece arrives.

Yeah the correct impeller is probably the problem. Glad you can order a new one. And the meantime if you had any ceramic or other media that you were housing the beneficial bacteria in I would keep that in the tank and an area of higher flow like if you have any bubble wands or any current makers or circulation pumps to keep the bacteria alive until you're able to reset up your filter. As the filters do indeed clean the water by removing particulates it also removes harmful chemicals that can kill your fish like ammonia nitrates and nitrates through the beneficial bacteria. So it's not going to just filter the water of particulates making it look clear. Nowadays filters are not only mechanical filtration they're also biological and chemical if needed.

Cracked magnet you say ? That bird won’t fly . Never have heard of that happening or seen it my own self . I would look the whole thing over really carefully and try to figure out what made that happen and also look for additional damage . Something that can crack a magnet probably took something else with it . Unless you fumbled and dropped it .

I have never seen that too.

But, I googled the problem and it seems that it can happen. Some report they where able to use epoxy to bond back the broken part and it worked.

You could give it a try (while waiting for the new one to show-up) and if it doesn't start, I would be inclined to get a new filter asap.

Never wash the motor and impeller with hot water and always lubricate the impeller shaft with petroleum jelly after cleaning the impeller compartment.

Also using a silicone based "O" ring lubricant for the seal is a good idea.

I'm Running a 1990 AquaClear at the moment with all original parts.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

My replacement impeller arrived and the filter is back up and running. I don't understand the mechanics of it, but it seems that a cracked magnet is enough to stop the whole filter working. Photo of broken magnet below:

20231202_080216.jpg

Thanks again,

Paul

Hello. It's the spinning motion of the impeller. If that's a little off, it just won't work right. I think it's like your clothes washing machine. If the spinning motion is out of balance, the spin cycle can't do its job. That's my theory anyway. Glad you were able to get things back on track.

my Rena impeller cracked just like the pic above about 6 years ago after years of service. though to myself it would take a hammer hit to do that damage but mine had never been dropped, just cleaned with a soft toothbrush. found them on Amazon so i bought 2.

Most reactions

Back