The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyfun&fans

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all Fishy Fans!
thanks for the warm welcome Admins!

My set up is a 16litre Superfish tank with a Betta 600 filter hugo kamishi Heater and turboboost 1200 Air pump connected to a bubble bar at the back with added no return valves and a small airstone in the Rockery Corner

occupants are 6 assorted mollies 1 dwarf gourami 3 guppy fry(1cm-2cm) 2 small loaches(yes overstocked but generally well maintained-looking to upgrade to 125-180litres asap)

1 big live plant 1 small live plant a couple of artificial plants a small Rockery , skull and Barrel

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

At 3 1/2 gallon, 'overstocked' doesn't come close. I'm sorry to have to say this, but there are a huge number of problems, just waiting to pounce.
When's the upgrade happening?

Mollies need at least 19 gallons...and that's before we look at 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 of them.
Plus, the water chemistry requirements of mollies won't be suitable for gourami or loaches. (What sort of gourami and loach do you have?)
How long have you had the tank and do you ever test the water?

1 dwarf chain loach and one small honey loach the LFS reccomended them as fish that can go trogether with the mollies the upgrade will be happening at the end of october if not before

the gourami is a powder blue dwarf gourami

the water changes get done once a week 20% Always , upto 50% depending on colour and smell , water tests are done roughly once a week and have never shown any spikes since the tank was first cycled

the mollies are all less than 2 inches in lengh also

Last edited:
Hi, FF&F. Welcome!

And welcome to the first rule of fish keeping: Never take anything the LFS says seriously. Most of them don't really know; they're just trying to sell stuff. :) It's OK; not your fault; we've all been there. But now you know--do your own research. Or ask us on here. We'll help you get right.

So, yeah, we aren't trying to dampen your excitement. There are a few issues with your tank. If you can remedy these, you and your fish will be in for a much smoother ride.

1. Tank size. For the fish stocking you currently have, your tank is WAY too small. A 180 l would be great for your current stocking, so get that upgrade moving pronto! :lol:
2. Loach numbers: I don't know what a honey loach is. Could you share some pictures? Dwarf chain loaches are happiest in groups of at least seven, so plan on getting some more. They are REALLY fun in large groups--always interacting and clicking at each other.
3. Guppy/molly numbers: They are going to increase. Rapidly. Have a plan for this.
4. Water hardness. If your water is of medium hardness, you can probably get away with keeping all these fish together. Some loaches and most dwarf gouramis are fairly flexible, especially if they're captive bred, but they do tend to prefer softer water. Guppies and especially mollies need harder water to be really healthy.

What kinds of live plants do you have? If you don't know, post some pics and we'll help you ID them.

T

Hi, FF&F. Welcome!

And welcome to the first rule of fish keeping: Never take anything the LFS says seriously. Most of them don't really know; they're just trying to sell stuff. :) It's OK; not your fault; we've all been there. But now you know--do your own research. Or ask us on here. We'll help you get right.

So, yeah, we aren't trying to dampen your excitement. There are a few issues with your tank. If you can remedy these, you and your fish will be in for a much smoother ride.

1. Tank size. For the fish stocking you currently have, your tank is WAY too small. A 180 l would be great for your current stocking, so get that upgrade moving pronto! :lol:
2. Loach numbers: I don't know what a honey loach is. Could you share some pictures? Dwarf chain loaches are happiest in groups of at least seven, so plan on getting some more. They are REALLY fun in large groups--always interacting and clicking at each other.
3. Guppy/molly numbers: They are going to increase. Rapidly. Have a plan for this.
4. Water hardness. If your water is of medium hardness, you can probably get away with keeping all these fish together. Some loaches and most dwarf gouramis are fairly flexible, especially if they're captive bred, but they do tend to prefer softer water. Guppies and especially mollies need harder water to be really healthy.

What kinds of live plants do you have? If you don't know, post some pics and we'll help you ID them.

T
i will attach some photos tommorow all advice has been taken onboard

thank you

i will attach some photos tommorow all advice has been taken onboard

thank you
NOTE that those mollies won't stay at 2" for long, assuming they survive and will grow to just over 3" for the males and just under 5" for the females. They'll also breed, as stated above.
The 'Honey Loach' is probably a Chinese Algae Eater. These fish will only eat algae, (amongst other things), when they're young. They then grow up and take to sucking on the sides of other fish in the tank...and they can grow up to 11".

Personally, I would be furious with the shop that sold you these fish, simply because they have exploited your lack of knowledge and expect you to return and spend more money, when your fish die.

Oh, if the honey loach is a chinese algae eater, yeah, kill it with fire.* They're awful. See if the pet store will take it back. Then find a different pet store.

*this is a figure of speech, a hyperbolic expression used for humorous affect. The Fish Forum does not advocate or recommend the use of flame throwers to euthanize problem fish.

NOTE that those mollies won't stay at 2" for long, assuming they survive and will grow to just over 3" for the males and just under 5" for the females. They'll also breed, as stated above.
The 'Honey Loach' is probably a Chinese Algae Eater. These fish will only eat algae, (amongst other things), when they're young. They then grow up and take to sucking on the sides of other fish in the tank...and they can grow up to 11".

Personally, I would be furious with the shop that sold you these fish, simply because they have exploited your lack of knowledge and expect you to return and spend more money, when your fish die.
tank upgrade happening asap and planning to have words with lps!
now feeling like a p####d off Pilot!

Oh, if the honey loach is a chinese algae eater, yeah, kill it with fire.* They're awful. See if the pet store will take it back. Then find a different pet store.

*this is a figure of speech, a hyperbolic expression used for humorous affect. The Fish Forum does not advocate or recommend the use of flame throwers to euthanize problem fish.
yes ive just looked up honey loach and theyve sold me a small monster!(Albino chinese algae eater)

i wont be killing him with fire though haha

that would make me as bad as Seaworld in my oppinion , he'll be going for sale to a SUITABLE Keeper & Tank or given back to the dreaded lps

Last edited:

Attachments

• C5E38427-73A7-49A8-A907-12D5E106D861.jpeg
    C5E38427-73A7-49A8-A907-12D5E106D861.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 35D1F4F9-B8BE-4CB7-B0E4-77B1389FAA81.jpeg
    35D1F4F9-B8BE-4CB7-B0E4-77B1389FAA81.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 24513FEE-C44C-42DB-994A-03C69F90F8DE.jpeg
    24513FEE-C44C-42DB-994A-03C69F90F8DE.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 2A6C43AE-5C0E-4ECB-B924-953176E6BE49.jpeg