FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently cycling a 40L tank for shrimp only. here's the thread I started on it

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/414813-just-picked-up-a-40ltr-tank/

Anyway, I'm on Day 40 of the fishless cycle which I'm not really bothered about, but thought it would have been quicker as I added mature media from my other tank from Day 1. After adding the mature media the ammonia has been zeroing in 12 hrs pretty much from Day 9. Nitrite on the other hand spiked from Day 9 but didn't start to drop until Day 26 and still taking on average 22hrs to drop to zero. I was never that happy with the flow coming from the filter so I upgraded it yesterday to a slightly larger one and was able to add around an extra 20% mature media. I checked this morning Day40 and hey presto the nitrite had dropped to zero in 13 hrs, but the ammonia was still around 1.0ppm I though it may have been a slight blip but just checked it again (11.5 hrs later) and the ammonia is still around 1.0ppm (not zeroed in 24hrs) so I'm a little confused.

I have had trouble with the PH dropping frequently throughout the cycle which I put down to the Mopani wood I had in there which I also removed yesterday. Up until now I've added a little bicarb soda to raise PH back to 7.6ppm which is what my tap water is.

When adding the ammonia I raise it back up to 2.0ppm.

Just a blip with the ammonia? I'm a little concerned/confused as it's only happened since putting the new filter in yesterday BUT the nitrites have dropped since using it?

Any thoughts?

Didn't get hardly any trouble fishless cycling my 180L a year ago!!!

okay what test kit are you using if you are using API master test kit the ammonia can be a little wired, you need to shake the living hell out of both bottles before adding it to the water sorry for the extreme expression but thats what i do :) seems to work, 

what values did you get after adding more ammonia after 6 to 12 hours?

Also, be sure to check the expiration date on the ammonia test bottle. 

I second Zikofski on that. 8 years ago I did my first fishless cycle (has it been that long?) I think I spent an entire 4 weeks getting crappy readings then randomly gave the bottle some really good shaking. Did the trick.

New bottles of ammonia (API)  exp date 12/2017. 

Only been adding ammonia once every 12 hours so the last dose yesterday eve @ 19.45

Ammonia was at approx 1.0ppm @ 8.45 this morning and virtually the same @ 20.15 this evening

So I did an 80% water change to see if this would help.

After the water change ammonia approx 0.50ppm

Now dosed ammonia back up to approx 2.0-4.0ppm

Always give the bottles a good shake before testing 
smile.png

haha that is good, keep testing and keep adding i guess the A bact grows quicker than the N bact so shouldnt be to long

Yes, but the ammonia has been processing within 12 hours for weeks and now has suddenly stopped, whereas the nitrites have been taking around 22 hrs but dropped in 13 hrs from the last time.

What are your nitrAtes running at? Have heard that if the level is too high, they convert to nitric acid and that can lower the pH stalling the cycle. Not saying it is that but might be worth doing a water change if the nitrAtes are over 80ppm. My nitrItes didn't start converting until I did a hefty (85%) water change. The nitrItes are now processing to 0 within 12hrs altho the ammonia has slowed to 24hrs since the water change, but I am confident it will get going again soon!

Hadn't tested nitrates for a week or so to be honest because the nitrites where taking almost 24hrs to zero after initial spike but the time wasn't reducing and ammonia was dropping fine so I didn't think it was stalling. I'm hoping that the water change will help it all out. It's just strange that the ammonia/nitrite process has almost swapped if you see what I mean?

Be patient - I know it's hard. My ammonia is processing to 0.25ppm in 12 hrs from 2ppm, and the nitrItes are at 0 @12 hrs. It's very frustrating but I think it's not going to be long before it's 0 in 12 hrs again. Fingers crossed it's the same for you.

If you have the other tank setup and running still.

Why not take some mature media from that tank? - Instant cycle, well nearly.

nigsy said:

I did that from day 1, and ammonia was zeroing in 12hrs but nitrite took a lot longer. Now for some reason is reversed. Is all in the initial post!

I put mature gravel in from my other tank at 7 days and it all kicked off then. I'm sure it's just a blip and we'll be stocking up soon!

Welshweeks said:

I did that from day 1, and ammonia was zeroing in 12hrs but nitrite took a lot longer. Now for some reason is reversed. Is all in the initial post!

My bad. Just scanned through. Soz.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back