Fishless Cycling Question

Dallionz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank that I've been cycling for almost two weeks. I've only tested the water twice: August 15th and August 18th. I've been adding 3-5 drops of ammonia once a day and am waiting for the Nitrite spike.

My Nitrites were zero both times I tested, but my Nitrates both times I've tested have been at 20. Is this typical of an uncycled tank? Or does this mean it is cycled and I missed the nitrite spike?

I know my ammonia levels are high because I'm still adding the ammonia once a day. Should I continue on how I'm doing or should I stop adding the ammonia at this point?

(I'm doing this fishless cycling according to an article I read. I would post the link for reference but don't have it available where I am right now)

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Check the nitrate, in your fish tank water supply ie, the tap water. If its higher in your tank then there is a possibility i think!?

I hadn't thought of checking just the tap water. I will run tests on it when I get home from work and see what that shows. Thanks! :)

Dallionz said:
I hadn't thought of checking just the tap water. I will run tests on it when I get home from work and see what that shows. Thanks! :)
No problem, thats what we're here for, i hope your tests have a possitive out come :D.

I have a 10 gallon tank that I've been cycling for almost two weeks. I've only tested the water twice: August 15th and August 18th. I've been adding 3-5 drops of ammonia once a day and am waiting for the Nitrite spike.
3 to 5 drops is probably not enough, although that was called for in the original recipe, they were talking about lab grade ammonia. If you got yours as a consumer cleaning product, it's not as strong and you'd need to add more. Go ahead and test your ammonia levels. When fishless cycling in the future, the best way is to add enough ammonia so that the first day it tests at 5ppm. Then add 5ppm per day until you see ntirites. At that point, add half the original dose until the tank finishes. You may want to add some fish food now and then during the cycle as well to ensure organic converting bacteria are in place.

My Nitrites were zero both times I tested, but my Nitrates both times I've tested have been at 20. Is this typical of an uncycled tank? Or does this mean it is cycled and I missed the nitrite spike?
As previous poster noted, it might be coming from the water. If the water tests no nitrate, then it's forming due to cycle establishment.

I know my ammonia levels are high because I'm still adding the ammonia once a day. Should I continue on how I'm doing or should I stop adding the ammonia at this point?
I'd like to see your ammonia levels before making a recommendation.

I tested my home water and the nitrate level was 20. So that was my answer - thank you! It also tells me why I have nitrates in my other tanks (although not the same levels). :)

Luxum - I think I'm getting enough ammonia in there. To be honest, I don't have anything to measure out exact drops because of the container the ammonia is in so it's probably getting more than five. The first time I checked the ammonia levels it was at 6 ppm and this last time was 8 ppm. So do you think I'm putting too much in? Should I be checking the levels every day or is every two to three days okay? I'll definitely add a little fish food here and there, too.

Thanks again! :)

Luxum - I think I'm getting enough ammonia in there. To be honest, I don't have anything to measure out exact drops because of the container the ammonia is in so it's probably getting more than five. The first time I checked the ammonia levels it was at 6 ppm and this last time was 8 ppm. So do you think I'm putting too much in? Should I be checking the levels every day or is every two to three days okay? I'll definitely add a little fish food here and there, too.
By "this last time" i assume you mean yesterday it was 8ppm? If so, that's fine, just keep adding your dose and wait for the nitrite. With nitrate in your tap water, you may want to consider adding some fast growing plants (floating water sprite would work well) to your tank to help remove some of the nitrate from your tanks.

Sorry, by the last time I meant on the 18th. I do have a floating plant in one of my other tanks that I'll move over when I get home. I've been meaning to take pictures of it and the other plants I have and try to get them identified. Thanks for your help and I'll keep testing and waiting on the nitrite! :)

Most reactions

Back