Fishless Cycling, And Testing Out Quick Start

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
I'm about to do my first fishless cycle, going to try to get a tank running without seeding bacteria from my first tank many moons ago. Or I might just get rather impatient, give up, and seed the bacteria anyway.

Anyways. API's putting out some new bacteria in a bottle product called "Quick Start." I was lucky enough to get free store associate samples cause they seem to have a lot of faith in this stuff, and hey, it's free, maybe this has something to it.

Unfortunately, I only got two small bottles of it, enough to treat 220 gallons. But that should be more than enough to prove if it helps or if it's garbage.

What this stuff boasts:
Allows Instant Addition of Fish
Contains Live Nitrifying Bacteria
Does not Require Refrigeration
Contains Unique, Patented Bacteria (this part freaks me out a little, doesn't sound "all natural" to me)

When it says to dose: when starting a new aquarium, adding fish, changing water, changing filter, medicating, or whenever ammonia or nitrite are present

What I'll be doing:

Just going to dose for what it's worth until I'm out of it. If It doesn't help the cycle, I'm not gonna recommend it to people. If it actually does something, that's pretty neat-o. After I'm out of quick start, I'm going to keep dosing ammonia for 4 ppm every single day for 2 weeks to make sure it actually made healthy bacteria. Hopefully it didn't give me artificial patented bacteria, cause that'd be pretty lame.

I'll be grabbing ammonia from ace hardware today for this experiment.

One thing to note is that the tank I'm cycling is for african cichlids. The sand is already in place, the pH is high. I'm not sure whether or not this will effect the products effectiveness. I'd guess not since it doesn't say it will, but who knows.

Yeah I used this when I did my fishless cycle. It still took 7 weeks to cycle AND I had to seed with mature media. Goodluck! :rolleyes:

Did the same myself. Check my thread from a couple weeks ago in this section. It will be interesting to see if you get different results than I did.

Thanks,
Steve

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back