Fishless Cycle, my journal

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DivaSkyChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
37 Gallon Tall Eclipse with lousy standard lights

I decided to do a fishless cycle because I didn't want to risk hurting any fish. Found something on the net and have basically followed directions. Thought I'd post my experience in case anyone else wants to do this as well.

Day 1, Dec. 23
Filled her up, heated her up to about 78, poured in about one table spoon of ammonia and a bottle of Fritzyme for a starter.

Day two, added one tbs ammonia

Day three, same

Day four, same

Day five, away for the day, no ammonia

Day six, away, no ammonia

Day seven, no ammonia added

Day eight, Ammonia at 8.0 or higher, added quarter tsp, about ten plants and fertilizer. I added plants because I heard that the bacteria in their roots and in the containers they come in will help. Realized later that ammonia might be high for the plants but it was too late. Anyway, I needed to do something in lieu of buying fish!

Day nine, ammonia 8.0, ph 7.8 no added ammonia, borrowed an algae covered plastic plant and a little gravel from a friend's established tank.

Day ten, January 1st - ammonia somewhere between 4.0 and 8.0 (my chart doesn't read between those numbers) no ammonia added. raised the heat to 86, which is as high as my heater will go, because I read the high heat will help the bacteria grow faster.

Day eleven - ammonia 2.0, nitrite .5, ph 7.8, no ammonia added, installed DIY Co2 set up (again, I had to do something productive!) Drank too much wine that evening and ordered bio spira off the internet thinking I could add it to hurry the process.

Day twelve - ammonia 2.0, nitrite 1.0, no ammonia added. Co2 looks like it's hardly working - I get one fat bubble coming out of the diffuser about every five or ten seconds... arggg Still, the ammonia is decreasing and nitrites are rising, so this looks good!

Day thirteen, ammonia 1.0, nitrite 5.0, no ammonia added. Sat on my hands and wallet.

Day 14. Ammonia ZERO! woohoo! Nitrite 5.0 or higher. PH 7.2 which I belive means the Co2 is working! Double Woohoo! added 1/2 tsp ammonia

In the evening my ammonia was back to zero.

Day 15. Ammonia zero, nitrite 5.0, added 1/2 tsp ammonia. By evening the ammonia read zero again. Plants not looking very good, tho... Bio spira arrived, it's still in the fridge. Haven't decided to add it, having doubts that it will do anything. I'd be interested to know what anyone here thinks about that.

Day 16, January 7...
AM - ammonia zero, nitrite 5.0, added one full tsp ammonia
PM - ammonia zero, nitrite 5.0 seems to devouring that ammonia. Adding one full tablespoon of ammonia tonight before I go to bed. Just want to see...
PH is still 7.2 plus I have white crusty (carbon?) buildup on the side of the tank with the diffuser.

Tomorrow is Saturday so I'm going to by a KH tester to determine how well my Co2 is really working. I'm also planning on buying a quarantine tank to give me something to fiddle with because I understand the nitrite process takes longer than the ammonia process and I have become obsessed with all things fishy. :)

Hope someone finds this interesting! If anyone has comments or advice, love to hear it. Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. :)

I am cycling a betta tank at the moment and this is very helpful!

Great job, keep the diary going, this will be a great pinned topic in the beginer section!
Is this your first tank, if so, WOW :eek: what patience!

Lol, yeah patience. That's why I've been sitting at my computer for the last few weeks staring at fish forums and photos...

I had a 20 gallon tank in college, back in 1992-4. I lost a lot of fish but managed eventually to breed a load of kribs inspite of myself. Never had a live plant tho. blue gravel, greek columns and crap. A different esthetic, shall we say? lol

The one lesson I learned back then that has stayed with me was "the less you mess with it, the better the fish do." I learned that the hard way after obsessing over every shimmy or spot - I'd dose the tank with this or that, poor fish were dope addicts for sure. Soon as school got hard, I got too busy to bother them and they just thrived.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

ammonia did u buy it in a bottle or somthing ??

where did u buy it ??
i cant find what it is in or where to buy it anywhere

Day 17.

I tested for ammonia about 8 hours after dosing with a table spoon of ammonia. Now my reading is .50. I think this is fine.

I got the ammonia at the grocery store "Ralphs". It was kind of hidden between all the name brands. It just says pure ammonia. cheap for a big bottle.

DivaSkyChick said:
I have pearling! Co2 unit is definitely working! :flex:
WOW, perling is nice isn't it, you got any fish yet? Pin this I would say, great thread (Only recently got my java fern to perl, in a low light tank too).

Jon

Oh I wish I could get fish! I'm probably weeks away. Nitrites are at 5.0 and that's as high my little color card reads...

My water is kinda greenish. Not algae, there is only a small amount that came on the plastic plant I borrowed from a friend for the bacteria. I DO have snails, however. Must have hitched in on the ... I think it's lilaeopsis. grassy stuff, messy.

Snails are interesting to watch, even if they're teeny tiny. I suppose they'll be an issue eventually but I'll cross that bridge later.

Other plants are Balcora or Ludwigia, not sure. It's grown an inch or more in the past few days. Bottom leaves are brown and icky tho. Top is sparser, reaching for the light. I've seen this with terrestrial plants - just not getting enough light.

Also have four or five very tall vals. They're doing okay.

Have one rooted sword type plant, I think. Haven't been able to find a picture of it anywhere. It's got sharp narrowish "swords" with a lot of red on the edges. I've had one leave melt away and I have melty spots on several other leaves. Could be the light, the nitrites, or shock. Just have to give it time I guess!

Greenish water is normal at this stage of cycling, nutrients for algae are at there most and they will disapear as quickly as they started, trust me (and others).

Look at the pinned topics on cycling, algae will soon disapear, its part of the process.

Jon

Day 17 evening readings

Ammonia (hereafter listed as NH3) back to zero. Yay!
Nitrite (No2) still off the charts, at least 5.0 which is as high as my chart goes
Ph 7.2
Kh (carbonate hardness, used to measure the amount of Co2 in your water) is 9 ppm which puts my Co2 at around 18 ppm, which is supposed to be very good!

Now if only I could "patience" my way into a new lighting system... :p

Day 18.

Added one tsp ammonia last night. This morning"
NH3 - zero
NO2 - 5.0

I added ten lbs of gravel last night, washing it really well before hand. I neglected to treat the water I soaked it in with dechlorinator and then I added ammonia. Woke up panicking this morning that I'd killed off all my good bacteria since the wet gravel and certainly some of the untreated water went into the tank, but it was fine.

Nitrite is taking forever to cycle, it seems like! :/

Day 19

NH3 Zero
No2 5.0
No2 160 or higher

This is the first time I've checked for Nitrates and I was shocked to see such a high reading. I thought that wouldn't go up until the Nitrites came down.

Am now consistently feeding half a table spoon of ammonia morning and evening. Within 12 hours I'm always back to a zero reading.

Wondering if I should change out some of the water - the directions I've read say not to but I wonder if the bacteria can catch up at these levels?

I would assume that high levels of nitrates are fine, then you just do almost a full water change to remove the high levels of nitrates.

the nitrates are fine, once the nitrites drop to zero you'll do a couple of large water changes in a row and it'll be done.

Most reactions

Back