Fish Tank On Windowsill

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You said this was only a short-term situation until you get your new house, so I wouldn't see a problem with it for a short time, especially if you follow the advice here and just make sure no direct sunlight hits it and there aren't a lot of big swings in temperature.

You said this was only a short-term situation until you get your new house, so I wouldn't see a problem with it for a short time, especially if you follow the advice here and just make sure no direct sunlight hits it and there aren't a lot of big swings in temperature.

Yea it would only be a sort term solution, until the 1st June at least.

I don't think it's worth the risk just for a short term. There are other places; it's just persuading my parent's that it clearly will fit :) (It will but my mam is a bit OCD with cleaning).

I might be missing something here but has anybody mentioned the fish and size of the tank?

As far as light is concerned just draw the blind or cover the rear of the tank, the heater will take care of the rest.

I also don't see a problem. Cover the back if your worried. Local breeders around here throw tropicals outside in 100+ gallon troughs, in sun and in shade. Plant it. IMO you get free heat, less power to run the tank.

I also don't see a problem. Cover the back if your worried. Local breeders around here throw tropicals outside in 100+ gallon troughs, in sun and in shade. Plant it. IMO you get free heat, less power to run the tank.

funny you say that
i spoke to a man the other day who said a friend of his breeds guppies in a fish pond inside his green house no filter heater or anything but weed
not something i would do but worked for him

i have a tank under the window near patio doors i pull blinds across to block sunlight as much as i can off that wall
but i see algae more in that tank rather than my other 4 tanks which are not near any windows

IF I were to put a small fish tank on my windowsill would there be any problems with that? I.e. would the temperature fluctuate too much; it would be a tropical tank with heater.

The reason I ask is I have a fish that is probably going to have to stay with my boyfriend temporarily however if I could put him in the smaller tank temporarily then I could keep him at mine.

We are buying a house so it is only a short term thing until we can move him to his bigger tank.

What problems if any would I come across in putting the tank on the windowsill, except the possibility of algae growth?
I had a goldfish in a goldfish bowl a few years ago and put it in the kitchen window, one day I found it floating on the top and it looked swollen like it blew up on the inside, I assumed it was because of the sun so my new one lives on me coffee table under my TV on the wall away from any windows but then today I thought this one might like to see outside so I googled it to get advice on weather it's the sun because it was a really hot day when my other one died so I'm thinking might be OK but not on hot days

I had a goldfish in a goldfish bowl a few years ago and put it in the kitchen window, one day I found it floating on the top and it looked swollen like it blew up on the inside, I assumed it was because of the sun so my new one lives on me coffee table under my TV on the wall away from any windows but then today I thought this one might like to see outside so I googled it to get advice on weather it's the sun because it was a really hot day when my other one died so I'm thinking might be OK but not on hot days
Thread is nearly 12 years old, as is the OP's last reply

Most reactions

Back