Fish Not Eating?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
One of my Cichlids has not eaten anything yesterday and now this morning?

He is acting the same as always, just not eating.

The only thing that I can see him doing a little differently is breathing faster, which would indicate poor water parameters, and/or a low level of O2.

I have checked the water parameters and they are fine, and I have two filters running, and an aerator, so I know there is plenty of O2 in the water?

What could be wrong? Why is he not eating?

He looks perfectly normal, no signs of worms, bloating, reddening etc...or anything?

Can someone help please?

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank that I just filled, and I might put him in there and treat him for worms?

Also, would over feeding them cause them to not eat?

EDIT: After watching him all morning he seems to be getting more active. When everything was okay, when I would very lightly tap on the glass, all the fish would come to where I was tapping. But yesterday and today when I did that, all the fish came but him. But I just did it again now, and he came like half way to where I was tapping.

I think I have been over feeding them, and he got sick form that, but I dont know...someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance!
-FHM
 
Anyone?

I'm sorry, I should have posted this thread in the fish emergency section.

But if someone has any thoughts toward this topic, please let me know.

-FHM
 
After talking to another member on here, we came to the conclusion that I needed to get a medication that treats parasites.

I went out and bought Parasite clear made by Jungle and added it to the main tank, treating all fish.

I will try to keep this thread updated throughout the medication process.

As of now, one fish has died two days ago, and now another fish is showing the same symptoms of what the last fish had.

Symptoms:

-Rapid breathing and gill movement.

-Fish has NO Desire to eat.

-Fish either stays near bottom or very top of tank.

-Fish is skinnier, and has a lack of color (pale).


I hope my fish gets better and no other fish develops these symptoms.

Will keep this thread updated.

Pics of last fish that has died.


You can see that there is no bloating or reddening...


101_4279.jpg

101_4280.jpg

101_4281.jpg


-FHM
 
Like I said earlier in this thread, I will keep this thread updated on the fishes health.

I called home last night, 2 days after I started treatment with Parasite Clear made by Jungle.

As of yesterday, there has been no signs of improvement with the fish.

The fish is still not eating, but he still looks the same, no bloating, discoloration, etc.

If the problem is not parasites, I think it might be stress.

With the size tank I have, usually the dominant male Cichlid will bully all other males, until they are gone, or until the only fish left are females.

I dont know if that is the case or not, but I am starting to lean in that direction. Just because the fish that I had die last week was a male.

I will update this thread in a couple days.

Feel free yo post any concerns your have, or if you think the problem might be stress related.

-FHM
 
Sorry to keep on posting, but I thought I would inform everyone what has happened.

Just a little while ago, that one fish has died. :rip:

I am guessing it was from being bullied around a lot, and from that got stressed to the point of death unfortunately.

Its such a shame too! I was going to put him in my 10 gallon quarantine tank this weekend when I went home. Argh!

Oh well, its all part of life I guess. :sad:

-FHM
 
how big are your cichlids and how many do you have? You might need a bigger tank. I also noticed on your tank pics thread that you don't have any rockwork in there and not many territories.
 
how big are your cichlids and how many do you have? You might need a bigger tank. I also noticed on your tank pics thread that you don't have any rockwork in there and not many territories.
Those pics are out dated now, I have a lot of rocks and wood in there now.

You can look in my profile for the fish I had, minus one now.

But I am pretty sure I know the cause of death, I just cant wait to get my 55 gallon tank! I really need it!

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top