Fish Not Eating!/pregnant....again!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fish_Lover0117

Reaction score
My fish arent eating anything I put in their tank. Today I cleaned their tank and while they were in the bowl I put them in(I had to empty the whoe thing, thats the way I clean it x.x) well, I put in some Livebearer Food, since I have Swordtails, but they didnt eat it at all.They just let it float to the bottom.This has been happening often.Their tank got so dirty from all the food that they didnt eat, that I had to clean it before I usually would have. I know I am not over-feeding them, I only put in a pinch, so does anyone know why this is happening?Also, I have 1 fry, and I have been feeding it First Bites, which is for fry. Its not eating either....The tank is a 10 gallon, and I have 4 fish in it, my 2 adult Swordtails, Golden Sage(Female) and Captain(Male) and my 2 fry-1 is older than the other so I dont feed it First Bites, I feed it Livebearer Food- but none of them areeating...I have tried giving them Blood WOrms and Shrimp Pellets too, but they just wont eat.

Also, my female swordtail, Golden Sage, has been getting pregnant almost every month now...I got the two adult swordtails from my teacher, and she said they almost NEVER gave birth, but like I said, now mine is giving birth almost every month!!!Does this mean that I am taking better care of them than my teacher did, and that I NEED to get another female or two? I know I am supposed to have more than one female per male, but I havent had the time to go get another female.When I did, then my first female had just given birth, so I couldnt get another since she might kill the others fry x.x

Please Help Me! x)

there is no need to remove the fish from the tank in order to clean it. Simply remove 1/3 of the tank water each week and replace it with clean water. If you are using tap water then add a dechlorinating agent to remove the chlorine from the new water before you add it to the tank.
By taking the fish out you are stressing them out and that is probably why they aren't eating.

If any fish food sinks to the bottom of the tank then you are over feeding them. Fish should eat all the food offered to them within a minute or two. If there is food left after that time then remove it straight away.
Having food rotting on the bottom of the tank will cause ammonia to build up in the water which will stress and potentially kill the fish.

Make sure you have a filter running on the tank at all times. When you clean the filter wash the filter materials out in a bucklet of tank water. Never wash filter materials out under tap water. Filters develop colonies of good bacteria that help keep the water clean. If you wash the filters out under tap water you kill the good bacteria and create water quality problems.

Don't bother feeding the fish on the day you do a water change. The fish will be fine without food for a day.

Ty x) I know i dont need to take the fish out of the tank to clean it, but thats the way I clean my tank....x.x

The food, well I was taking it out if they didnt eat it, but I couldnt get all of it, so it got dirty.I know that I am not over feeding them.Like I said, I only give them a pinch of food, so I odnt know why they are letting it sink to the bottom...I have watched them a couple of times, and they almost never eat.Last night I gave them blood worms, and they ate them, so should I try to give them blood worms more often?It seems to me that they wont eat anything else...Thanks anyay xD

Any advice on my female getting pregnant any1? x)

Female livebearers like swordtails, mollies, guppies, etc can carry sperm packets for months. They use the sperm packes to fertilise successive batches of eggs. Hence the reason a female swordtail can get pregnant when there are no males in the tank with her.

As for feeding, try offering them one or two flakes at a time instead of putting the whole pinch it at once.
Don't feed the fish exclussively on bloodworms. they will suffer from nutritional deficiencies. They need a varied diet consisting of flake/ pellet foods, frozen foods and if possible, live foods. The more variety they get the better.

A gravel cleaner is a good way to remove uneaten food from a tank and also allows you to keep the gravel clean.

Most reactions

Back