Fish Missing In Green Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lock77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been fighting a losing battle with green water and tried a 5 day blackout. When the cover came off the water was better but still very murky. Problem is that since I took the cover off I haven't seen my clown loach. I'd just got my tank how I wanted before the gw hit and I don't fancy fishing around in murky water destroying what I've done. What would yous lot do. Or am I being selfesh not wanting to rip up my plants?

Well I will have to say that clown loaches are excellent hiders. That being said. If it is dead it will stay hidden. I would personally wait a day or two before worrying too much. They are also nocturnal animals and come out more in the dark. so after it being dark for five days straight they might be a little sensitive to the light. Try keeping the lights off and just using the light from the room or a weak flash light to look around once in a while.

Another question is if the tank is by a window or somewhere that sunlight would enter the tank. that would cause some green green water. Just a thought.

I have had clown loaches for four years now. the only time I lost one it jumped out behind the tank and flopped under the stand. I had to use a flashlight and a mirror to find it. That was a very sad day. About 3.5 years ago.. Good luck to you! Hope he comes out..

Well I will have to say that clown loaches are excellent hiders. That being said. If it is dead it will stay hidden. I would personally wait a day or two before worrying too much. They are also nocturnal animals and come out more in the dark. so after it being dark for five days straight they might be a little sensitive to the light. Try keeping the lights off and just using the light from the room or a weak flash light to look around once in a while.

Another question is if the tank is by a window or somewhere that sunlight would enter the tank. that would cause some green green water. Just a thought.

I have had clown loaches for four years now. the only time I lost one it jumped out behind the tank and flopped under the stand. I had to use a flashlight and a mirror to find it. That was a very sad day. About 3.5 years ago.. Good luck to you! Hope he comes out..
Hopefully you are right and he's hiding.

If you are planning on waiting do you have an ammonia test kit?

If so I would keep an eye out for any ammonia spikes that a dead fish might cause - if there's no ammonia spike it doesn't mean he isn't dead but does mean there is no immediate rush to find him as he is not causing problems for the other fish.

If there is an ammonia spike you will unfortunately have to get digging and find him before others start to die.

Hopefully he's just hiding somewhere.

My water was a bit clearer this morning and I spotted a flash of orange and black behind some wood. I stuck my hand and brought him closer to the front of the tank. Good news is that he is alive, bad news is he is not moving very much and his mouth seems stuck open. Any ideas?

What are your water stats? Sounds like somethings out of whack. Start by testing water and or water change. Otherwise im not sure. Have not had such a problem. Wish i could help more! Pls keep updates coming. Poor little guy :(

I've done another 40% change, nitrate levels were slightly higher than usual but levelled out after the change. No improvement in my clown. I was going to attempt another blackout to clear the green water but fear that he may die during this time. Could I put him in another tank along with an Oscar?

I also have never had this problem, but I'd be doing a massive water change, to try to get rid of the green - just leaving the fish enough water to swim upright in.

If the clown loach is weakened, the presence of a boisterous oscar may be too much for it. My instinct is to leave him where he is.

There is plenty of cover and hiding spots in with the oscar but I see your point and Will leave him where he is. I'll lift the kids from school then take into a massive water change. Fingers crossed! Thank you.

He's dead. Started treating for internal parasites but must have been too late.

Most reactions

Back