Fish loosing color in the matter of hours!

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jacob the tank keeper

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Our petshop had an ich outbreak killing over 80 rummynoses. Thankfully, in my care, the 20 rummies I had were cured relatively quickly, very good eaters despite having whitespot. The problem comes in when the Discus got the whitespot, they look okay, but they're getting thinner. I added salt and decided to add a heater just few hours ago (we live in a tropical climate, water's good enough for discus). I can't do a test right now for the water params.

Anyways, After I treated with salt and added a heater, all the discus started coming out and being less scared, I would even say their color shined up a bit. But all the other fish, Neons and Rummies, are looking their colors. I couldn't even find the rummies cus they lost all of their red noses. I'm really worried, they're not schooling anymore. Only recent change is the salt and heater. I didn't really add much salt either.

I'm gonna do an emergency water change. All my equipment are locked up in the shop and I can't get them here. I'll have to go ahead with a trusty water bucket! Wish me luck. I really need to sleep and its like almost 11pm here but I'll manage

Oddly enough discus can tolerate a very high level of salt. I had a very sick pair a long time ago and I had no idea what to do. I had them in a 10 gal. H tank. I was told to raise the temp towards 90F and to add 1 cup of salt to the water, I was also told of that 1 cup did not help to add a second cup. I was also told to get a specific med and to use that.

When the med arrived it contained sodium chloride among other ingredients and that is salt. So , I did a massive water change, and then added the med. I saved those two discus but I had started with 4 and lost two before I move the other two to the H tank.

Now the problem with that treatment as well as elevated temp. may be hard on other fish. Neons and rummies do not normally have salt in their water. So what seems like a little may be too much. Also, what one person considers a little another may feel is a lot. And I cannot tell what amount a little is here. Can you provide some more accurate info as to the amount of salt you put into what volume of water.

Fish colors tend to fade when a fish is stressed. This can be because it is being bullied, because it is sick or because something in the water is stressing them. Sick or stressed fish tend to lose their color and to hide.

Oddly enough discus can tolerate a very high level of salt. I had a very sick pair a long time ago and I had no idea what to do. I had them in a 10 gal. H tank. I was told to raise the temp towards 90F and to add 1 cup of salt to the water, I was also told of that 1 cup did not help to add a second cup. I was also told to get a specific med and to use that.

When the med arrived it contained sodium chloride among other ingredients and that is salt. So , I did a massive water change, and then added the med. I saved those two discus but I had started with 4 and lost two before I move the other two to the H tank.

Now the problem with that treatment as well as elevated temp. may be hard on other fish. Neons and rummies do not normally have salt in their water. So what seems like a little may be too much. Also, what one person considers a little another may feel is a lot. And I cannot tell what amount a little is here. Can you provide some more accurate info as to the amount of salt you put into what volume of water.

Fish colors tend to fade when a fish is stressed. This can be because it is being bullied, because it is sick or because something in the water is stressing them. Sick or stressed fish tend to lose their color and to hide.
Thanks for replying! I got it all sorted out. It was about 2 cups for the entire 66 gal tank, probably less.

This morning I woke up to all the happy corries, neons, rummies, and better discus. But one of them is separating from the group, up in the water and panting. It's also fin clamped and lethargic. I'm thinking of moving it to another temporary and give him Methelyne blue but my dad thinks that'll just stress it out more. Should I just leave it? Since the water already has the heater and the salt

Salt is a harsh chemical in a rainforest tank. If it's the right treatment, it still takes time. How many human treatments are one and out? It's the same with fish. If you are killing parasites, they put up a fight.

Most of the time, salt burns, and the fish secretes slime to protect itself. The slime is what treats the fish, as an immune response. Some parasites also die in salty water, as do some fish.

One of the biggest mistakes new aquarists make is throwing meds at the wall to see what sticks. Once you have decided on a treatment, you stick with it for its duration. If you are wrong, you adjust ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND the new treatment fully. Methelyne blue is a great med that works on several levels. It increases oxygen uptake and reduces light for parasite like velvet that also photosynthesizes, but most importantly, it cause the Ich parasite to mutate, which usually stops it from reproducing and kills it off.

If that's what you need, use it. If not, don't. It is always your call. But there are zero signs of Ich in what you posted.

Next, you have a no win choice. The Discus will need high temperatures, higher than the Corydoras and neons can thrive in. Someone gets a shortened life in that combination...

Salt is a harsh chemical in a rainforest tank. If it's the right treatment, it still takes time. How many human treatments are one and out? It's the same with fish. If you are killing parasites, they put up a fight.

Most of the time, salt burns, and the fish secretes slime to protect itself. The slime is what treats the fish, as an immune response. Some parasites also die in salty water, as do some fish.

One of the biggest mistakes new aquarists make is throwing meds at the wall to see what sticks. Once you have decided on a treatment, you stick with it for its duration. If you are wrong, you adjust ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND the new treatment fully. Methelyne blue is a great med that works on several levels. It increases oxygen uptake and reduces light for parasite like velvet that also photosynthesizes, but most importantly, it cause the Ich parasite to mutate, which usually stops it from reproducing and kills it off.

If that's what you need, use it. If not, don't. It is always your call. But there are zero signs of Ich in what you posted.

Next, you have a no win choice. The Discus will need high temperatures, higher than the Corydoras and neons can thrive in. Someone gets a shortened life in that combination...
Thanks for your response, my main concern with using meth.blue is potentially killing all bacteria including beneficial for the cycle.

Anyways, all the fish seem better! Even the sick discus I left alone. I went out just now and same thing. Turns out I just overreacted. I just caught them while they were sleeping. I forgot to mention yesterday that after a few hours they regained all color and became active

Most reactions

Back