Fish List

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Man...I had to take a nap in-between reading that one.

Great post Maggie. Really did your homework...Go to the head of the class.

I would like to simply say this....Although the rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water...

It is possible to keep much more than that depending on the type and species of fish...

I, for one HATE using the 1" per guideline...IMO it just doesn't hold any validity.

Example:

1 adult oscar @ 16" 1 per 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18x18)

8 neons @ 2" = 16" of fish, but I think the same size tank could hold WAY more than the 8 neons

While I do agree with everyone here that your list contains to many fish, I would be more concerned with the species contained there in.

JMO

CM

well looks like every things been said on the fish you want to keep,
so i'll just tell you to get the cameroon shrimp, they are great, now ccl say's he's worried about there size but i've said many times before they are safe with fish even small fish such as neons, ccl speaks about the lobster , well this shrimp does not have claws, he has filters if you saw the link www put up you'll see, i've had mine now for around 12 months,
so i think if he was able to attack fish he would of by now but i'll say again they dont, i gaurentee you will love them, so go for it, :thumbs:

i agree with cm on that one. whait did i really say that? oh well, the 1" rule of thumb is great when you use it as a guage for tank size. i think the rule of thumb is thrown out when you are more experienced like cm and are very familiar with the temperaments of the fish housed in the tanks.

also agree :crazy: (making this a habit) that you should be more concerned with the types of fish that are housed in the aquarium. i tend to overstock my tanks cause inthe cichlids i have found that they are not as aggressive. (here goes the rambling again i can feel it) i think you should go over your list and decide what you cannot absolutely live without. i know that is hard but you will have more tanks in your future.

maggie

i don't think that they attacking others would be a problem but with some of the fish listed they may be viewed as a source of food. may cause them to be skittish or hide often.

all the plants you've listed ther sound good cayote :thumbs: lol :lol: better get makeing the co2, :D

Holly Crow,
thats a REALLY REALLY GOOD reply maggie. I am VERY proud of ya. :D
But on the same token I think you are trying to give me a run for my $$$$.

Or the essay post are rubbing off on you. I know you enjoyed it because I can see it in the post. go get em Fishie......
Now I better finish reading since it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long a post I had to do like CM and take a nap in between.

Danny

Plant info for the 3rd time....Dang computer :angry: Going to post every time I get one done so I don't have to keep doing this.

Amazon Sword - Echinodorus Bleheri
The most popular aquarium plant of them all. A nutritious bottom promotes growth. Use laterite, florite, or some root tabs. Hardy and easy solitary plant for both beginners and experts. Height 20-50 cm, Light requirements low-very high, Temperature 20-30 °C, Hardness tolerance soft-hard, pH tolerance 5,5-9, Growth fast (good plant for out compeating the algae). Very easy to grow.

Anubias - Anubias Angustifolia
Beautiful plant with long, narrow leaves. It is not eaten by herbivorous fish. Height 10-15+ cm, Light requirements very low-high, Temperature 20-30 °C, Hardness tolerance very soft-hard, pH tolerance 5,5-8. Growth is slow but easy to grow.

Anubias - Anubias Barteri
An undemanding plant. Grows somewhat larger than Anubias barteri var. nana but is grown in the same conditions. It is best planted in a shady spot to restrict algae growth on the leaves. Herbivorous fish do not eat the very tough and robust leaves. Height 25-45 cm, Light requirements very low-medium, Temperature 20-30 °C, Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard, pH tolerance 5,5-9. Growth very slow and grows algae easily, but is a easy plant to grow.

Anubias - Anubias Coffeefolica
The leaves arch considerably between the leaf ribs, and the new leaves are red-brown. Flowers frequently under water but does not produce seeds there. Temperature .. 20-30ºC, pH tolerance .. 5.5-9pH, Hardness tolerance … soft-very hard. Very easy plant to grow.

Anubias - Anubias Nana
A small, attractive plant which thrives in all conditions. Best results by tying on a stone or tree root by using fishing line. If planted in the gravel the rhizome must not be covered because it will rot. Flowers frequently under water. It is not eaten by herbivorous fish. Height 5-15 cm, Light requirements very low-medium, Temperature 20-30 °C, Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard, pH tolerance 5,5-9. Growth is very slow but very easy.

Moneywort - Bacopa Monnieri
Highly recommended plant that thrives in most conditions. Propagate by cuttings (cut with sissors or knife and put the cutting in the gravel and you have instant new plant.) Looks best in large groups. Height 25-50 cm, Light requirements medium-very high, Temperature 15-30 °C, Hardness tolerance soft-very hard, pH tolerance 6-9. A very easy plant to grow but does so slowly.

Cabomba - Cabomba Caroliniana
Least demanding of the Cabomba species. Can cause problems in poorly lit aquariums. Most decorative when planted in groups. Eaten locally as a vegetable. Height 30-80+ cm, Light requirements medium-very high, Temperature 18-26 °C, Hardness tolerance soft-hard, pH tolerance 4-7. Grows fast (good to combat algae) but isn't one of the easier plant to grow.

Cardamine - Cardamine Lyrata
Is actually a marsh plant AKA bog plant not really good in the aquarium. Plant in groups, and make sure the water temperature does not exceed 28 degrees for long (this makes the leaves much smaller and the plant more leggy). Height 20-50 cm, Light requirements medium-very high, Temperature 15-24 °C, Hardness tolerance soft-hard, pH tolerance 6-8. Fast growing and easy as well.

Hornwort - Ceratophyllum Demersum
Cardamine lyrata is a light green and often quite bushy plant. It prefers cool water (like what goldfish prefure). A nutrient rich substrate should be offered to all fast growing plants. Growth is faster if the water is CO2 enriched. Cardamine lyrata may be reproduced from seeds as well as cuttings. Temperature 10-25 ºC, pH tolerance acid-basic, Hardness tolerance … soft-hard. Not the easiest plant to grow. In fact it can be quite difficult.

NAP TIME HERE FOLKS. REST WELL WE HAVE MORE TO GO!!!!!

Wisteria - Hygrophila Difformis
A beautiful and undemanding plant for beginners. Helps create a balance in the aquarium because of it's rapid growth it helps prevent algae. The plant absorbs a great number of nutrients from the water. The shortage of micro-nutrients leads to pale leaves, which may be an indication that the aquarium needs fertiliser. Temperature .. 22-30ºC, pH tolerance .. 5-9pH, Hardness tolerance … soft-very hard. A very easy and fast growing plant.

Hygrophila Polysperma
Usually an undemanding plant. If you want deep-pink leaves you must provide intensive light. Height 20-30+cm, Width 6-10cm, Light high-very, Temperature .. 18-28ºC, pH tolerance 5-8pH, Hardness tolerance soft-hard. It's not the easiest plant to grow but it's also not the hardest to grow.

Java Fern - Microsorum Pteropus
A water fern that is found attached to roots and rocks in Nature. new plant should be attached to a rock or driftwood with a thin wire or a rubber band or fishing line until new anchor roots have been formed. It accepts very soft water and up to even brackish water. Easily reproduced from small adventitious plants which is formed on the older leaves. When they are large enough they will break off from the mother plant and float or you can cut them from the mother plant yourself and replant as you did the mother plant. Height 20-35cm, Width, 12-18cm, Light low-high, Temperature 22-30ºC, pH tolerance neutral, Hardness tolerance … average-hard. One of the hardest if not the hardest plant to kill.

Java Moss - Versicularia Dubyana
Attaches to rocks and roots and to driftwood. A slow starter till it has established it's self. Does not require any special attention. Accepts all kind of waters - even weakly brackish - all kind of light qualities at a wide range of temperature. Height 5cm upwards, Width, 5cm upwards, Light low-high, Temperature .. 15-28ºC, pH tolerance .. acid-basic, Hardness tolerance … soft-hard. Another hard to destroy plant.

Vallisneria Gigantea - Vallisneria Americana
The current and therefore correct name is Vallisneria americana var. americana Michaux. There are several varieties that are sold in the shops most of them are cultural forms with more or less variation in leaf morphology. Most can produce leaves of up to two metres in length. In deep tanks these will reach the surface where they are effective competitors for light. The leaves may be cut down. This reduces the plant growth and does not look nice. Performs best in large show aquaria. Shows optimum growth in hard waters with moderate to intense flow. The root system can reach very high densities and a substrate of at least 10 cm is therefore recommended. Height 50-200cm, Width 15-25cm, Light average-high, Temperature .. 18-28ºC, pH tolerance .. neutral-basic, Hardness tolerance … hard. This is a very easy plant to care for.

Vallisneria Spiralis
Beautiful plant with conspicuous transverse darker bands on the leaves, beauty, sturdiness and fast growing characters. Accepts all kind of waters. Does not require much light to maintain high growth rates. Height 30-35cm, Width 15-30cm, Light low-high, Temperature .. 15-30ºC, pH tolerance acid-neutral, Hardness tolerance … soft-hard. Easy plant to take care of.

Anacharis / Elodea - Egeria Densa
Good plant for beginners, and with its rapid growth it helps create a balance in the aquarium from the start. Help prevent algae because it absorbs a great number of nutrients from the water. The plant secretes antibiotic substances which help prevent blue-green algae (a type of bacteria). The growth rate depends largely on the amount of light and nutrition available. Growth does not stop in unfavourable conditions, but the plant turns light in colour and the tendrils grow thin. Height 40-100cm, Width 3-5cm, Light medium-very high, Temperature .. 10-26ºC, pH tolerance 5-10pH, Hardness tolerance … soft-very hard. Easy plant to care for.

Cryptoloryne Beckettii
One of the most popular aquaria plants for more than 60 years. An amphibious plant and it grows very well submerged. A heavy root feeder will need to use root tabs. Looks best in groups though very variable in colours and morphology. Due to variation within the species but also the water, light and sediment influence the colour of the leaves. Height 15-20cm, Width 10-15cm, Light Low-high, Temperature .. 20-26ºC, pH tolerance .. acid-neutral, Hardness tolerance … soft-hard. Another easy plant to have in the aquarium.

Cryptoloryne Wendtii
There are many variations of this plant ranging from brown/ red to green to Mi Oya to Tropica's version. If the plant is affected by the so called cryptocoryne disease, do not remove it from the aquarium because a few weeks later it will produce new shoots. Crypt disease is when the leaves start to dye off. This can happen for several reasons most commonly is due to stress on the plant from too warm water, sudden changes in water chemistry things like that. They rebound from it very quickly. These are root feeders as well. Height 15-25cm, Width 10-15cm, Light low-high, Temperature .. 20-30ºC, pH tolerance .. 5.5-9pH, Hardness tolerance … soft-very hard. I have found this to be another hard to kill plant.

Well class that ends this session of Plants and what they need. I think I now have the longest post on the board or it's real close.:fun: :hyper: :p

Thanks everyone im making smaller list which i will re post for more screening, maggie will have to type another essay lol :D But theres a few species i could live without just included everything so a few could be struck off. Corys have to stay, cardinals, and shrimpie im going through the replies now to sort out the rest

Many thanx :hyper:

you should check out these little guys. very cool. they are called upside down cats. they are catfish. scavengers for the tank and are all over the tank, mostly mid to top. they do swim around upsidedown. they look so funny swimming upside down skimming the top of the water. makes you take a second look at a tank with them in. also should fit in niely with the corries. very mild temperamented. like to be in groups of 4 or more, but will also go alone. much more character when in groups though.

www.freshaquarium.about.com/library/profiles/blfw0015.htm

maggie

Wow Rose super list of the plants... I don't suppose their is any chance you can get some pictures of them, being our plant expert :wub: :wub:

:D Right heres the first additttion to my tank, thanks to slt and little shrimpie God Rest His Soul i have decided and now introduced 2x Shrimps the first of many and im thinking of adding a tyre track eel.

The question now is Cories.............. What type ? Bearing in mind shrimps

How many Species ?

How many of each species ?

Im working my way up from botttom to top

Pictures of tank and layout on there way to help with advice

Cant find any picture to identify shrimp i have been on :

http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Sh...p.htm~mainFrame

But none look like them they have three sets of larger as apposed to legs but not pronounched claws at front, mainly clear to green in colour except the moody 1 which turns red most the time.

yippee , 2 shrimps and a tyre track eel great :thumbs: you'll :wub: them,
eels are great escape artists , so make sure you seal any gaps so they can't get out, :thumbs: and good luck with your little shrimpys :thumbs:
i've got 2 corrys britski brochis, got a pic up of 1 of them, :)

Yeah my tank has sealed glass on top only way in or out is through sliding glass so i dont think escaping will be a problem.

Show us the pic of you corrys the ones im looking at are albino, lepoard and the other has no common name so ill dig out the latin name

What about numbers ?

if you look in my pics he's there, i have 2 but you can have more if you don't over stock the tank, they are very peaceful and enjoy each others company, they are also larger than the other corry species, :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back