Fish Index

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sylvia

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
This isn't too important but it seems reasonable to suggest this change in order to make the fish index easier to navigate and search.

Basicaly, I was looking through the 'Oddballs' section and noticed how rainbowfish were listed under 'Oddballs' yet, in the main forum, they are grouped along with characins and cyprinids. Considering those two groups get their own sections in the fish index, shouldn't rainbowfish also have their own? I feel the grouping in the fish index would be simpler to understand if it reflected that of the main forum to some extent. It makes little sense to me to have rainbowfish in 'Oddballs'. I'm basicaly suggesting a new 'Rainbowfish' section is included (or 'Atherinids' would make more sense) and all the relevant profiles moved over. There appear to be quite a few.

Also in the 'Oddballs' section of the index, I see there's a halfbeak listed. This should be in the 'Livebearers' section. In fact, it's the Celebes halfbeak which I think already has a profile in the 'Livebearers' section! Actualy just checked, the one in livebearers is not the same species. This isn't so much a suggestion as it is a mention for someone to move it as that profile deffinately is in the wrong place :p

The 'Oddballs' section also has a couple of non-fish species of animal listed. I think an 'Invertebrates, Amphibians & Aquatic Reptiles' section would be more appropriate. Not only would it make more sense and reflect the main forum's layout, it may also encourage people to write more profiles that fit into this category. I, for example, hadn't even noticed until today that non-fish species were included. Making this a seperate section of the fish index would surely draw attention to their existence and encourage more interest.

I would have also suggested a seperate brackish section but I think it's too early for that yet and confusion could easily arise over what is to be considered brackish and what is not :)

I would have also suggested a seperate brackish section but I think it's too early for that yet and confusion could easily arise over what is to be considered brackish and what is not :)

Definitely confusing. Just try asking what a Bumblebee Goby is best in; fresh or brackish. :lol:

Lol. Actualy, that was one of the first that came to mind because I'd just been looking at a thread concerning just that in the brackish forum :p BUT, if you concider there are several species of 'bumblebee goby', assuming we could finaly settle which are brackish and which are not, it could be possible to make a distinction :p It would still be an issue for fish that start off freshwater and turn brackish or things like scats that are often kept in fully marine conditions in later life.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back