Fish in cycle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I divided my stock ;)
Sorry I lose track quite easily of folk with multiple tanks. I only have one myself, any more and I'd lose the plot.

So whats the current layout of your tanks so ive got it registered in my tiny mind once and for all

Sorry I lose track quite easily of folk with multiple tanks. I only have one myself, any more and I'd lose the plot.

So whats the current layout of your tanks so ive got it registered in my tiny mind once and for all
I have put my livebearers in my 2ft, 60 L tank for two weeks to treat them with salt and therefore I have divided my stock :D

The yellow tinge - just an odd thought, what kind of light is on the tank? The reason I ask is that years ago when Juwel used T8 fluorescent tubes, one of their brand made the water look yellow. I had these lights on my old Juwel 125 and the colour was horrible so I know it's possible for lights to do this. If you've got LEDs, that's not the cause though.

The yellow tinge - just an odd thought, what kind of light is on the tank? The reason I ask is that years ago when Juwel used T8 fluorescent tubes, one of their brand made the water look yellow. I had these lights on my old Juwel 125 and the colour was horrible so I know it's possible for lights to do this. If you've got LEDs, that's not the cause though.
I remember those horrible old tube lights on my dad's tanks growing up. Nightmare. Didn't look great, and they were expensive to replace.

I think even some LED's can cast the wrong tint though. I have two cheap lights, cost about the same, but have different white/blue/red balances. One makes my tanks look great, the other doesn't - it seems to reflect differently on the plants, making the whole tank look too green and dingy, and is terrible for taking photos of the tank. I have to switch to the better light when I want to photograph that tank. Can't wait to replace it!

Also @Salty&Onion, do you have a lot of floating plants? Depending on how thick the surface cover is, and if the roots are quite yellow and the light is highlighting those, that can affect how your tank looks overall. I thinned out the duckweed and water lettuce on the 55 gallon the other day, and even though the light on that tank isn't great either, just thinning that stuff out and moving it to one side made the side where the light wasn't being blocked by floaters look so much brighter.

Also @Salty&Onion, do you have a lot of floating plants?
Bit of salvinia, but before it was in the tank I still have been getting the yellowish tinge.
I have a 10-11 watt NICREW light, gonna be looking for longer light.
Put my sand in today :)

It may be anecdotal, but things I have read say that many years (decades) ago, water changes were thought to be bad so they were only done once every few months. Because of the huge gaps between water changes, the water turned yellow due to the build up of organics in the water as @Treestone said. Back then, carbon filters were used as carbon removed the yellow.

A yellow colour due to the build up of organics should not happen nowadays - if weekly large water changes are done. But it could be leaching out of something. Is there anything in the tank which could be causing this?
We can rule out the light since it's LED.

It may be anecdotal, but things I have read say that many years (decades) ago, water changes were thought to be bad so they were only done once every few months. Because of the huge gaps between water changes, the water turned yellow due to the build up of organics in the water as @Treestone said. Back then, carbon filters were used as carbon removed the yellow.

A yellow colour due to the build up of organics should not happen nowadays - if weekly large water changes are done. But it could be leaching out of something. Is there anything in the tank which could be causing this?
Also anecdotal, but I might be able to confirm that water changes were often considered as something you wanted to minimise in the past. My parents had an aviaries and aquatics business 35-40 years ago. Really, the fish were my mom's thing and birds my dads, so she knew more about it. But he's kept a 55 gallon for the last few decades. He rarely did water changes, and when I got into the hobby, he was really anxious about my doing water changes 2x a week on my tanks (new tanks, and then when I had guppy fry in a grow out). I had to sneak water changes on his tank when he wasn't around, because I knew the nitrates were sky high. He though water changes could do more harm than good, and was suspicious about about water conditioners and using tapwater in his tank, because he hated the thought of chemicals in the water, and believed too many and too large water changes would be bad for the fish. He also used to turn the filter off now and then for a few days "to rest the motor" and not connect that to the tank getting super cloudy right afterwards... He lost most of his fish a few years ago and was very upset, and didn't know what it was. I now believe it was old tank syndrome, or a complete cycle crash when he turned the filter off. He doesn't mean to be lazy or not care, he loves animals a lot and is the opposite of lazy.

A lot of this is probably him being a stubborn old man and not as sharp as he used to be, so I don't believe it was always this extreme for him or others in the hobby. But the general suspicion of 'chemicals' like water conditioner, and the idea that large water changes, too often being a bad thing I believe was more widely accepted. I managed to convince him that new filters and motors were better than back then, and needed to be left on. I showed him API master test results for nitrates on his tank and mine, so he could see hard evidence of the water conditions, and he now lets me do more and larger water changes on his tank - but still grumbles if he thinks it's too often. He keeps carbon in his filter (almost never changed out) and floss/sponges, but no bio media like ceramics. While again, I think his age means he took this to an extreme, I think knowledge has changed so much in fish keeping, and it sometimes takes hobbyists, especially ones who say they've been fine with the old ways for years - time to catch up.

I like to keep my nitrates around 10-20ppm through small weekly water changes and the water gets a little yellow in that time. It's not really a terrible thing. But that's only on one of my tanks.

I like to keep my nitrates around 10-20ppm through small weekly water changes and the water gets a little yellow in that time. It's not really a terrible thing. But that's only on one of my tanks.
75% water changes weekly. Nitrate should be kept below 20ppm.

Maybe its too much nitrates or ammonia, nitrite in water?
Maybe debris on sand? I've got incredibly large stock so?
I have found this gravel cleaner on eBay:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back