Fish Id Please

goosej13

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys I just went to the pet store and they had a fish called cherox tectifer... It kinda looks like a vampire tetra.. it definatly eats smaller fish cause i got the guy to throw some in.. they were about 3 inches long, grey with a black spot behind the gill and just befor it back tail fin...

SOrry i have no pics of it but could you guys help me out on the names of these guys post some pics if you have them

Thanks
Goose

no they definatly arn't a community fish... they look like that but arn't clear like that... and two black spots on the side of them.. thanks tho... anyone else?

Hey guys I just went to the pet store and they had a fish called cherox tectifer... It kinda looks like a vampire tetra.. it definatly eats smaller fish cause i got the guy to throw some in.. they were about 3 inches long, grey with a black spot behind the gill and just befor it back tail fin...

SOrry i have no pics of it but could you guys help me out on the names of these guys post some pics if you have them

Thanks
Goose

Hmmm, I found this:
http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/summary/Spec...ry.php?id=53078

No pictures though. I wonder - can you get back to the LFS and take some pics for us. I am assuming this is newly marketed.

It sounds like the shop has confused them with Cynopotamus argenteus which look very much like Charax species but have large visable teeth and are highly predatory, they're not very common in the hobby so there isn't much written about their care. They should get to around 6 inches and if typical to other predatory Characins will take prey up to half their own size.
A nice find and well worth a go if they aren't too expensive.

Most reactions

Back