Fish Highway / Fish Bridges / Fish Towers

good stuff, do a photo journal thingy if you can, be interested to see pics of it being constructed and that :good:

I think that 50MM will only be big enough for small loaches to utilize, Loaches seem to be predisposed to shoting through plastic pipes anyways. I think that the ultimate fish to keep with a fishbridge would be a white knife, being a knife fish they would love to spend time insulated electrically in the pipe and they look damn cool at that.

Silicone wont hold acryllic or plastics at all well. You need to use an appropriate solvent if you want to silione an acryllic window to another plastic tube.

As for the bridge idea, it is fun, but:

- You really need two tanks. If the bridge returns to the same tank, it will just be full of dead water. No fish in their right minds would enter it! With two tanks, it is easy to keep the water flowing through the tube by pumping water between the tanks.

- IMO, it's great to connect tanks -- but I much prefer doing it "traditionally", via simple bulkheads, or a sump. This way fish can't swim bwtween them. Yep, that's a feature for me, not a drawback. It means I can run a centralised filter/heater/etc, but be able to keep different types of fish in each tank. (i.e., I have one marine tank for my puffers, and another nano reef for corals -- different aquascaping, ecosystems.... but they both share filtration, top-off, heating, etc. etc).

A freshwater example is my frog tank - water is pumped into the tank and drains back through a bulkhead into the main tank -- two ecosystems with separate animals that could not live together (frogs would eat the fish), but shared filtration, heat (and cooling), CO2, etc etc.

Whole_system_Medium.sized.jpg

hi people I'm the guy of ebay who supplies acrylic plastic and i appologise for what is neerly blatant advertising BUT you inspired me to make a water tower for my pond using the bridge theory i thought you might like to see....b.t.w. the tube and endcap were found allready glued and i an sooooooooo sorry but i haven't a clue what adhesive was used though i do plan to try to find out..
DSCF0044.jpg

I fully understand you guys are serious fish keepers and my silly water feature with a couple of carp variants in is not exactly cool but wow my daughter will love feeding them and watching them fly. sorry bout the quality of the pic but my daughter insisted on using her cam and taking the pick and she's only 6..
hope you find it interesting I plan to make a free standing version by cuting a hole in the side of a 200mm diameter tube for the fish to swim in and sit it on the botom of the tank verticaly..it will be awsome as i will be trying to get it about a meter high..wish me luck.
paul...
wow all that and not one mention of ebay i was good..

hi people I'm the guy of ebay who supplies acrylic plastic and i appologise for what is neerly blatant advertising BUT you inspired me to make a water tower for my pond using the bridge theory i thought you might like to see....b.t.w. the tube and endcap were found allready glued and i an sooooooooo sorry but i haven't a clue what adhesive was used though i do plan to try to find out..
DSCF0044.jpg

I fully understand you guys are serious fish keepers and my silly water feature with a couple of carp variants in is not exactly cool but wow my daughter will love feeding them and watching them fly. sorry bout the quality of the pic but my daughter insisted on using her cam and taking the pick and she's only 6..
hope you find it interesting I plan to make a free standing version by cuting a hole in the side of a 200mm diameter tube for the fish to swim in and sit it on the botom of the tank verticaly..it will be awsome as i will be trying to get it about a meter high..wish me luck.
paul...
wow all that and not one mention of ebay i was good..

dude thats awesome and i bet the fish love it so your ok with us lol.

This got me thinking a bit, a 1 metre high tower will have lots of pressure pulling on the top peice of plastic that is closed off, but that shouldnt matter at all, You just wouldnt want it to fail, and the water will all rush and flood your tank, This would be a really cool thing to do a a really big scale, specaily in ponds, a huge 1ft in diameter tube about 2 metres high would be great !

This got me thinking a bit, a 1 metre high tower will have lots of pressure pulling on the top peice of plastic that is closed off, but that shouldnt matter at all, You just wouldnt want it to fail, and the water will all rush and flood your tank, This would be a really cool thing to do a a really big scale, specaily in ponds, a huge 1ft in diameter tube about 2 metres high would be great !

add a blue light in the top and that would be amazing!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back