Fish for small tank

Alien Anna

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was planning to put my cherry barbs in
with my male betta, in his little 35L (8.5 UK gallon) tank, but they are currently in my heavily planted main tank and there is no way I'm going to be able to catch them!

I then thought about putting my black neon tetras in with him, but they are almost as bad to catch and I'm concerned they might not be compatible.

The betta's tank has plastic plants because it has a non-standard light fitting (14.5") and I can't find a replacement bulb. The Java fern I put in there is looking rather sickly :eek:(

Other than that, it's cycled and working fine and I have some bogwood, some slate an a rather attractive clay pot in it. It's just rather sparsely populated. My plans to add a large snail failed (no one laugh - I didn't know betta's ate snails!).

I did flirt with the idea of some white clouds, but it gets dreadfully hot in our front room. Oh, and pH is high (7.5 after I've filtered it through peat) and the water is liquid rock (also reduced after I've filtered it through peat).

So, ideas for tank mates, please?
:love:

Hi,
no one has replied to this and I wondered if it's because of the other posts on small tanks and how they are cruel under 10 gallons?

Well, I don't know exactly how big this tank is because it's non-standard but about 4.5 2 gallon bucket's worth fill it. Technically, it is probably considered 10 gallons.

My betta seems fine in it, but it would be nice if I had something else in there. The guy at the LFS suggested a couple of small corys. They don't seem to grow big, don't have complicated requirements and the ones at the LFS are kept in hard, alkaline water with no problems. Any thoughts?

P.S. I bought some silk plants for it and I'm on the trail of tracking down some new lighting, although it is not suitable for live plants (I need a 14.5" x 1" tube). I'm reluctant to spend money on it as I will probably replace it with a 2" tank at some point. I had a 2", but then it mysteriously got used for a gerbil. Things like that happen in my house.

That's about the size of my small tank - it's about 5 g each side. I've got 4 zebra danios in with my betta - but I've seen the betta chase the danios and try to nip at their tails :( The tank seems to have separated - when the betta tries to join the danios, they swim thru the bridge to the other side. Maybe some bettas are better off by themselves :(

I keep a large betta with white cloud minnows with no probs at all and my tank runs at 26 centigrade so i cant see a prob with the minnows :D

You could also try copper silver tip tetras blaa blaa lol as they are also in with the betta :look:

Most reactions

Back