Fish Fighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Iainang

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have successfully upgraded my tank from a 60l Biorb to a 125L Juwel. Didnt lose any fish in the transfer which im happy about.

However.

I transfered the fish a few at a time, first was 2 Platy, then every few days added the rest. Last in was a male Swordtail (was born in the Biorb, so this is my favourite :))

Anyway, when i added the swordtail, the male platy began aggressivley attacking the swordtail, it was non stop for about 5minutes. So i moved both Platy back in to the Biorb.

Left them for 2 weeks and last night, put them back into the new tank, this time the swordtail began attacking the male platy.

I realise this is a teritory thing, but i couldnt leave them in there fighting like that, so platy are back in Biorb again.

They were together for over 1 year in Biorb with no problems at all, but now it seems i cant have them in the same tank.

Any ideas would be appeciated.

Are they always fighting or whenever they see each other?

You can try putting them both in the Juwel at the same time then move some decorations around and leave the lights off for a while and see what happens. Just my 2 cents.

where is the dad to the swordtail? males should be kept on their own, is there a chance hes mistaking the platy for another male sword now hes matured

Hi I have 2 redtaild sharks but I had 1 for about two weeks on his own then I put another one in and the older one is chaseing it round the tank at feeding time but other than that they R fine so don't know if they R playing or not and I found my baby angelfish dead in the tank lastnight it had no eye and a hole in the side of it so don't know if they have attacked it coz I do have an older angelfish in the tank 2 so old could some one help me on this

where is the dad to the swordtail? males should be kept on their own, is there a chance hes mistaking the platy for another male sword now hes matured

I bought 2 female swordtails about 2 years ago, as i didnt want fry. 1 was obv pregnant when i bought them and this one survived, and is now about a year/16 months old.

Like i said, in the Biorb we was with both Platy for over a year. Now all of a sudden, then cant be in the same area at all.

Hi I have 2 redtaild sharks but I had 1 for about two weeks on his own then I put another one in and the older one is chaseing it round the tank at feeding time but other than that they R fine so don't know if they R playing or not and I found my baby angelfish dead in the tank lastnight it had no eye and a hole in the side of it so don't know if they have attacked it coz I do have an older angelfish in the tank 2 so old could some one help me on this

The are quite aggressive toward conspecifics and this behavior gets more pronounced as they get older. I recommend just keeping one red tail.

how big is your tank? no its not playing, its agression, the shark needs lots of hidy places and is a known chaser, its not recommened to have two in one tank, can you rehome or return one? angelfish can also be territorial so you do need to look at your stocking and research a bit about the fish you have and thier needs, sorry but your were poorly advised :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back