Fish Feeding

joshrm115

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA, California
OK tank is stocked and cycled with some nice compatible fish! I feed to day for the first time in the new tank. I feed with live fish now how often should i do this. One concern I had with doing this was only the more aggressive fish get the food? so should I fluctuate with other food or do allot of you just feed live???
 
From your other thread you have mainly cichlids, so I would suggest that you only feed live/frozen food a couple of times a week at most, they need a variet diet for their health and while live/frozen foods do provide some nutrients they also require a good staple diet of something like cichlid pellets/sticks which will give them their needed vitamins, also they like some veg in their diet or they can become constipated, so feed once a week some cooked, shelled peas, maybe some blanched courgette/zucchini.
 
OK tank is stocked and cycled with some nice compatible fish! I feed to day for the first time in the new tank. I feed with live fish now how often should i do this. One concern I had with doing this was only the more aggressive fish get the food? so should I fluctuate with other food or do allot of you just feed live???

what live fish are you feeding?

If you want the cichlids to remain in a healthy condition then IMO goldfish should Not be fed as these offer the cichlids no nutrition and can carry parasites which can make the fish unwell

Personally if you want to feed live species then the best thing to do is to set up you own 15G tank and breed yourself some guppys or mollys, which hopefully will be much healthier and if fed a balanced diet themselves will offer more nutrition to your cichlids

Although in reality there is no need to feed fish live foods as there are now much better options as minx has stated above,

my cichlids get a quality pellet food for staple, then either frozen foods or prawns twice per week and peas and cucumber twice per week.
Although you could easily replicate this and replace the frozen food for live food if you wished.
 
Oh my I didnt read the OP very well, didnt read the live fish part - whoops, just read live.

Ok, yeah not a good idea to feed live feeder fish unless they are home grown, the feeders from the stores are not well treated and as said can contain parasites and infections which could pass on to your fish.

Stick with the cichlid pellets, live/frozen bloodworms, prawns, mussel and some veg and they will be happier and healthier.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top