Fish Euthanasia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
I just read an interesting article on the Practical Fishkeeping website on the topic of humanely destroying a fish. I've seen it discussed on here before and in the chat room so thought it might be of some interest.

I think it will be useful for anyone who has to put a fish out of their misery or has some favoured method that might not be the best option available.

Yup think ill stick to getting the husband to knock them on the head.

Interesting read though....

Distasteful as it may seem, I use the head trauma method. I've tried other methods in the past, but there is always some suffering involved, so I opt for killing them with immediate results. I still hate it. Good read, though.

I'm too squeamish to use the head trauma method; I'd be so busy crying and shaking, I'm sure I'd make a mess of it
confused.gif

Clove oil is my preferred method. I always keep a bottle handy, after a horrible experience a couple of years ago, when one of my glass catfish got stuck in the mesh of a moss wall 
cry1.gif

I have only had to do it once to a sick cardinal. I was changing water in my hospital tank, and he got sucked into the air line i was using as a siphoning tube. When I finally realised, he was already disembowelled so I quickly pulled it out and grabbed the nearest thing: a Pyrex dish. Crush. It was a tiny little fish but I still felt horrible afterwards.

I know, but I can't even imagine using that method for a bigger fish! I think I would freak out... If I had to crush one of my discus or something.... Oh my god! I think I should get some clove oil just to have in case.

I only keep small fish so when ever I have to put a fish out of it missery I use the ice water technique. Seems to kill instantly.

Before that I used to put the condemed fish into two sandwich bags and hit it against the wall but one time the sanwich bags split and I was left with a stained wall!! If I kept larger fish I would go witht the clove oil method.

Electric Warrior said:
I know, but I can't even imagine using that method for a bigger fish! I think I would freak out... If I had to crush one of my discus or something.... Oh my god! I think I should get some clove oil just to have in case.
I think every fishkeeper should have a bottle. There's nothing worse than having a really sick or injured fish, that you know is suffering, and not having the means to put it out of it's pain humanely :(

While still in the net a quick flick to the head then flush or bin, job done!!

I had to put my goldfish down last weekend and couldn't bring myself to tap on the head so used clove oil and vodka, once I was pretty sure he had gone I did make extra sure by the head method but couldn't bear to do it with his eyes moving :( the clove oil method was incredibly peaceful which made it less stressful both for me and the fish.

KirkyArcher said:
While still in the net a quick flick to the head then flush or bin, job done!!

Never flush a fish, dead or alive.

UK water treatment works are more than adequate to deal with the odd fish down the loo, even ones carrying diseases despite all the myths that go round, I would never flush a live fish. (Source of info about water treatment:- friend who works for NWL water treatment management) Loads of dead birds and wildlife, farm animals fall into water some carrying diseases that heads both to and from treatment plants, the quality of the treatment removes all threats to human safety.

fluttermoth said:
I'm too squeamish to use the head trauma method; I'd be so busy crying and shaking, I'm sure I'd make a mess of it
confused.gif

Clove oil is my preferred method. I always keep a bottle handy, after a horrible experience a couple of years ago, when one of my glass catfish got stuck in the mesh of a moss wall 
cry1.gif
Mine too Fluttermoth! I'm too squeamish for anything involving violence!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back