Fish Compatibility

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattcap

Reaction score
Currently have a 30 gallon grow out tank. Wondering if its safe to house a 2 inch Dino Bichir and two 1 inch Leopard Bush Fish? Also have some small Corydoras and a small Pleco in there.

Currently have a 30 gallon grow out tank. Wondering if its safe to house a 2 inch Dino Bichir and two 1 inch Leopard Bush Fish? Also have some small Corydoras and a small Pleco in there.
I think @Byron could assist you further on this one.

He’s very good with stocking.

Good luck.

I would not recommend this. First question though, what fish are growing out in this tank? I'm not sure if you mean the cories/pleco, or the intended/considered bichir and bush fish.

This tank is not sufficient space for a bush fish which requires a 4-foot tank. The fish is slow growing but can reach 8 inches, though six inches is usually seen in aquaria. It is an ambush predator that will readily eat fish small enough to get in its mouth, and the mouth is quite large.

The bichir needs a 6-foot tank or larger, as it generally reaches 18 inches though is known to attain up to 29 inches.

I realize the fish are small now, but without the tank space available for their needs at maturity it is best not to get them. Fish grow continually and need adequate space life-long.

Well if by Dino bichir your referring to a senigal bichir then adult size will only be about 12 inches. A little more for a female. My female was about an inch longer then my male but at least twice as round. A 4ft tank is fine for them. Bush fish I have far less exp. But I assume if 8" is a good estimate of adult size your little Cory's will be a potential meal. Anything fitting into the bush fishes mouth will be. It will sit and wait for hrs. Until a fish makes one mistake and forgets he's there then bam. Over in the blink of an eye. So definitely probably 6"+ fish or better with him. Also I would be on the fence about housing Cory's with any bichir. Bichir don't see well and will take a bit eat about anything passing by if hungry enough. Normally when they are fed pellets and prepared food this is less likely. But mine ate feeder fish some times and they would take a shot at a passing tank mate now and again. Even though they were bigger fish then they could ever eat.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back