Fish Capacity For A Juwel 125/180

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Can't decide whether to get a Juwel 125 or a 180.

Could anyone give their honest opinions/suggestions on whether I could have these fish in either of those tanks? Or would it be overstocked? Thanks.

I hope to have

6/8 Harlequin Rasboras
6/8 Corys
6/8 Chain Loach
3/4 Otos

And a few others of which I'm undecided.
Could I have
a Plec or two?
A couple of Rams
or maybe a pair of Gouramis?

Thanks again in advance
 
You could have the top lot in a 125, you might be pushing it a bit to get the additions at the bottom as well (though its possible.)

Get the 180. I've got one, its a great looking tank and the extra 55L makes a difference IMO. The bigger the better. If you haven't got the room, get the 125. But the 180 gives you plenty of options. For instance you could have everything listed above, plus a few other fish if you're sensible about what you pick.
 
You could have the top lot in a 125, you might be pushing it a bit to get the additions at the bottom as well (though its possible.)

Get the 180. I've got one, its a great looking tank and the extra 55L makes a difference IMO. The bigger the better. If you haven't got the room, get the 125. But the 180 gives you plenty of options. For instance you could have everything listed above, plus a few other fish if you're sensible about what you pick.


Thanks for that. I'm tempted but may not have room.

If I have to go for the 125 would

6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Corys
5 Chain Loach
3 Otos
2 Rams
2 Gouramis be ok?
 
You could have the top lot in a 125, you might be pushing it a bit to get the additions at the bottom as well (though its possible.)

Get the 180. I've got one, its a great looking tank and the extra 55L makes a difference IMO. The bigger the better. If you haven't got the room, get the 125. But the 180 gives you plenty of options. For instance you could have everything listed above, plus a few other fish if you're sensible about what you pick.


Thanks for that. I'm tempted but may not have room.

If I have to go for the 125 would

6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Corys
5 Chain Loach
3 Otos
2 Rams
2 Gouramis be ok?

seems fine imo, the otos are very hard to keep; so you could go for a BN pleco or a clown pleco ;)

chain loaches are wicked fishes!

Good luck

you could keep kribs instead of Rams; but i would take a pair of german blues over kribs, but its preference and if other fishes can deal with the temperature Rams need.
 
You could have the top lot in a 125, you might be pushing it a bit to get the additions at the bottom as well (though its possible.)

Get the 180. I've got one, its a great looking tank and the extra 55L makes a difference IMO. The bigger the better. If you haven't got the room, get the 125. But the 180 gives you plenty of options. For instance you could have everything listed above, plus a few other fish if you're sensible about what you pick.


Thanks for that. I'm tempted but may not have room.

If I have to go for the 125 would

6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Corys
5 Chain Loach
3 Otos
2 Rams
2 Gouramis be ok?

seems fine imo, the otos are very hard to keep; so you could go for a BN pleco or a clown pleco ;)

chain loaches are wicked fishes!

Good luck

you could keep kribs instead of Rams; but i would take a pair of german blues over kribs, but its preference and if other fishes can deal with the temperature Rams need.

Thanks guys. I had 3 Otos before that all died quickly (just wanted some fish that kept algae down a bit).

Aren't German Blues difficult to keep? What about Bolivian Rams as an alternative?
 
Sorry to thread hijak a little... Why are otto's hard to keep? We were planning on getting some :(

Back to topic... Get the bigger one :) Gives you more options in the long run. The last thing you want is to be wanting to upgrade in 6 months time.
 
you shouldnt keep rams with most cories, and almost all loaches, due to them being kept at 28-30 degrees C, theyre kept that high to keep there immune system and digestive system at optimum speed.
 
you shouldnt keep rams with most cories, and almost all loaches, due to them being kept at 28-30 degrees C, theyre kept that high to keep there immune system and digestive system at optimum speed.

I've kept rams and corys together quite happily (at 24 degree's) with no issues. Look at the colouration on my avatar if you want some indication of how healthy they are.

Rams are fussy about water quality - you need to be doing weekly 30% changes IME, more if you have time. Don't substitute oto's for BN's - BN's get up to 6 inches. Oto's can die easily, if you do add them give it 6 months before you add them - gives the tank a chance to mature, and means theres plenty of algae for them.
 
published papers have shown and proved scientifically that they should be kept at higher temps, ill dig em out.

No point, it won't change my opinion - I've kept healthy happy rams at 24 degrees and I'd be quite happy to do so again. It may have shaved a couple of months off their life expectancy perhaps, who knows.

I'm a firm believer that stable water conditions with good water quality count for alot more than people realise.
 
Aren't Bolivian Rams supposed to be more versatile regarding temperatures?
 
I was under the impression that Bolivian Rams are just a bit less sensitive and finicky. My GBR's would get stressed out if I did less than 30% water changes weekly, and from what I've heard Bolivians are a bit less sensitive to that.
 
What about Angel Fish?

Could they be an option with this stocking?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top