"fish Can Associate Sound With Predation Risk"

Reaction score
"Researchers from Minnesota State University and the University of Minnesota have discovered that fishes are capable of associating sound with predation risk.

The study by Brian Wisenden, Julie Pogatshnik, Danfee Gibson, Lucia Bonacci, Adam Schumacher and Allison Willett is published in the latest issue of the journal Environmental Biology of Fishes.

The role of sound in the natural ecology of the two fish species remains unknown, although the authors consider this phenomenon worthy of further study in fishes."

Full story;

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1495

I find this latest research theory plausable and interesting- i think it only goes to further prove the importance of lack of noise in or around tanks, and having the tank placed in a quiet area of your home will reduce the stress levels of the fish and so help the fish display better colours and more natural behavior and help reduce the chances of them falling ill etc. I do worry though that the bubble pump i have in my goldfish tank is perhaps too noisey, i have never seen/heard a quiet bubble pump before, and the bubble pump has to be the noisiest peice of equipment i have running in my goldfish tanks- so far though the goldfish have never seemed bothered by the noise the pump creates, although i do still wonder though none the less if the noise does stress them.

I think for fish which live in fast flowing noisey rivers where the waters flow is always shifting gravel and rocks along, noise is probably not so much of a problem for such fish which have evolved to live in such environments, but i think noise is probably a lot more stressful to fish which have evolved to live in calm and quiet rivers or lakes etc.

One thing i am wondering though is whether noise can have an effect on the breeding behaviors of fish.
With fish like many types of plecos where such fish have evolved in environments which experience dry seasons and wet seasons, we all know that doing lots of large cold water changes after not doing any water changes for a long time in a warmly heated tank can fool fish into thinking that they have been experiencing a dry season and are now just experiencing a wet season (with the large cool water changes imitating the vast quanties of freshwater that fill up rivers and lakes during the wet season) and so encourage the fish to spawn/breed as they would in such times/circumstances.
Now i'm wondering if noise can have a similar effect on fish when encouraging them to breed as what regular large cold water changes can do to some types of fish, as i'm sure when the wet season comes along and the rivers and lakes are flooded with the rains, this must create a lot of noise and i'm wondering if the fish notice this and use this to help them know when to breed- downpours of rain falling on a lake must certainly create a lot of vibrations and under-water noise. What do you think?

My sharks use to absolutely freak every time we turned the vacuum on, but the rest don't seem to mind at all.

I often wondered what they can really hear underwater - and what it sounds like to them, whether it's actual noise or just vibration that disturbs them. I know my dining room is a much quieter place when I accidentally switch off the tank socket instead of the hairdrier socket (on the wall, plugs are side by side).

Actually, I wish sometimes I could just turn all that noise off.

Most reactions

Back