Fish And Secon-hand Dry Goods Auction

helterskelter

Livebearer Specilest
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
6,270
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
GB
Fish and second-hand dry goods Auction
Sunday 23rd November 2008

Location:-
Kempshott Village Hall
Pack Lane
Basingstoke,
RG22 5HN

Info:-
Hall open from 11.30am
Late Booking 12 noon to 1.30pm
Auction starts 2pm
None members will have to join as a day member which i believe is £1 for the day


Their are usually lots of:-
Pond plants
Bogwood
Rocks
Fish foods
Pumps
Tropical and coldwater Fish
Tropical Aquatic plants
 
Also last few auctions their has been loads of home breed BN's for sale......
 
Boy, I live in the wrong country...

Maybe not, clubs run most auctions; [URL="http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php"]http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php[/URL]

I go to several auctions yearly, not counting the club I belong to.


Hi, Tolak,
very true, and I do belong to a local online fish forum with a local club connected which has auctions with lovely prices - get myself in lots in trouble...
Especially if I come home with that 13th tank when I still have to argue periodically about the 11th and 12th ones I have yet to get set up, never mind stocked, as I'm in the process of (slow) rearrangment of tanks to make room.
Did I say 'if'?
Think I'll wait on actually attending any auctions, rather than reading and dreaming about them - actually missing out on a good deal for something I really NEED like more tanks/fish/plants is so painful.
And I have a lovely large closet I'm thinking would do very nicely as a little fishroom, once I'm reorganized...
 
:lol: Had a board meeting this evening, where my wife pointed to the tank I said was the last one. She mentioned the 30 tanks after the last one as well. Glad she didn't mention all the equipment that goes with running those tanks.

I went to an auction in Peoria on Sweetest Day. I called my wife just before we left, told her I picked up a Sweetest Day gift for her. Her comment? Oh Lord, please, no. :lol:

They had some cheap framed fish graphics, I got three for $1 each. Of course I got flowers on the way home, and gave her those first, I don't want to be found belly up in one of my tanks.
 
:lol: Had a board meeting this evening, where my wife pointed to the tank I said was the last one. She mentioned the 30 tanks after the last one as well. Glad she didn't mention all the equipment that goes with running those tanks.

I went to an auction in Peoria on Sweetest Day. I called my wife just before we left, told her I picked up a Sweetest Day gift for her. Her comment? Oh Lord, please, no. :lol:

They had some cheap framed fish graphics, I got three for $1 each. Of course I got flowers on the way home, and gave her those first, I don't want to be found belly up in one of my tanks.


:lol: men :rolleyes:
 
LOL I know that feeling, I'm in a 1 bed flat :(
6 tanks but got another 60 at the parents in the garage!!!!!!
1 day I'll have my fish room back
 
Hi, Tolak,
can you ask your wife if we can work out some kind of a deal, lol?
A clone would work for me...
(The real, secret reason I have fish instead of my ex was that he never brought any live fish/tanks home.
Not once in 5 years. If that isn't grounds for divorce...)

Hi, shelaghfishface,
ah, but when you're talking men AND fish, it's all worthwhile, isn't it?
After all, isn't a girl's best friend a diamond tetra, or something?
(That may not be quite right, they're certainly not on my rather lengthy really-wanna-have list, anyway...)

Oh, helterskelter, that SUCKS!
60 empty tanks?
That outright hurts - but at least you still have them.
And someday soon I hope you'll have a nice, big fishroom the rest of us'll be drooling over...
You'll have to, with 66 tanks...
Totally cool, as long the water/electricity supply and floorboards hold out.
(I hope you have an automatic waterchange system waiting patiently in the garage as well.
Although if you did 10 waterchanges a day and didn't have to spend time working, I suppose you'd be exhausted but OK, the way I am just thinking about it...
Hmmm, now I'm thinking about it, it doesn't really sound so bad, does it?)
 
when i had the fish room i did water changes every sunday (unless their was a fish show) and it took me 4 hours to do 50 tanks.
 
when i had the fish room i did water changes every sunday (unless their was a fish show) and it took me 4 hours to do 50 tanks.


Holy, pro!
I'm impressed.
I usually do one bigger (and my biggest is only 35 gallons) or several smaller tanks a day so it takes me about a 5-day cycle to do the weekly rotation, but there are also usually some getting daily or every third day or whatever as well.
(Then again, I have hand/arm tendon [and some other] issues so still can't do much at a time.
Much better than it was, though, and on the plus side, I've certainly perfected my swearing.)
Guess it probably speeds things up if you don't get distracted watching the fish, either...

So do you think a lot of people will attend this auction?
I know I saw people's posts in a local forum about the last one held in my area by a local club, where people got some phenomenal deals as not many showed up, although I'm afraid that if there are too many bad turnouts and low returns in a row, nobody'll bother anymore...
Good idea alerting people like this, I hear they're often one of the best ways to find good deals on things.
Not something aquarists can afford to lose, in any sense.
 
There are buyer's auctions, where there are few bidders with many items, and there are seller's auctions, where it is the opposite. You can get some incredible deals if you are in the right place at the right time, and make some pretty good money for the same reason.

There are so many variables as to what makes an auction good for buyers or sellers. Weather comes into play, local sports teams playing, other regional club's schedules, phases of the moon and Lord knows what else. Clubs always make money off of auctions if they have been holding them for a number of years, and in the long run it pretty much evens out for buyers & sellers.
 
Well this auction has around 30 regular people who I known for 15 years or so. Some stuff is a real bargin, loads of plants here from £1 ($0.75-80) starting price and rarely get more than £3 which is good for the buyers.

Bristlenose's are usualy £5 for a good half dozen (1inch+) adult's are usual £5-8 a pair

Second hand dry goods though are very cheep can get a couple of used power heads from a couple of quid but it at your risk unless u know who sold it :) all the stuff i sell though works as i test before.
 
Ok last bump bumo as this is only around the corner now
 

Most reactions

Back
Top