First Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ryno

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to start a marine/reef system and was wondering what I needed (filter, skimmer, ect.). I want it to be a reef aquarium where I can put corals, clownfish and anemone, and shrimp, what other fish can I put with them? It will be a 55 gallon aquarium. Any help would be appreciated. I really look forward to owning a saltwater aquarium. :good:

Hi Ryno,

Welcome to the salty side!

Have a read of the two links in my sig - they should answer all of your immediate questions.

Hello, I wanted to start a marine/reef system and was wondering what I needed (filter, skimmer, ect.). I want it to be a reef aquarium where I can put corals, clownfish and anemone, and shrimp, what other fish can I put with them? It will be a 55 gallon aquarium. Any help would be appreciated. I really look forward to owning a saltwater aquarium. :good:

Hi there!
I've actually started a nanoreef tank myself. I would recommend doing a LOT of reading. In all honesty, I became familiar with a lot of the equipment and strategies through "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies". :blush: It is honestly a good way to get a very general understanding of all the equipment tanks need, their alternatives, and cautions/specific warnings for each. It also includes information on reef specimens and fish :good:

I would also recommend doing reading on major distributors like Dr. Foster and Smith/Live Aquaria. Sellers like that will give you a very basic overview of what each coral, polyp, etc. will require and also includes some general care strategies and temperament information. It's helped me make a lot of decisions.

You're absolutely going to need Live Rock. That's the primary filtration system for a salt water tank and is also what you'll set the anemone on. For a 55 gallon tank you're going to need a protein skimmer. You will also need a fan to make sure there is adequate water flow through the tank. Good current speeds are especially important for anemone, because it helps with their circulation, prevention of diseases and other factors. Do a LOT of research on the type of anemone you buy. Some of them are very aggressive and will not only sting and kill other corals/reef specimens around them, some can even give YOU a good sting as well! Rose-tip bubble anemone are a good beginner's anemone from what I've been told. Make sure you've got a testing kit and hydrometer for the water parameters. Having constant water conditions are incredibly important to sustain a saltwater tank. It can become an expensive mistake!!!

I don't remember the type of shrimp offhand, but there are certain ones that actually HELP anemone live. I believe there are also anemone crabs which live underneath them. It's a great ecosystem to have :) Clownfish are a very peaceful species to have so make sure you don't get anything too aggressive. Gobies, Blenny, and Blue Tangs are peaceful fish that are compatible! :D And all very beautiful creatures.

OH! And before I forget - Make sure you've got VERY good lighting! Your fixture should have at LEAST 50% actinic bulbs to provide the right wavelengths for photosynthesis of your reefs!

Have fun! :-

Most reactions

trending

Back