First Proper Planted Tank

Jay1983

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of research (looking through others journals and other websites), and asked a fair few questions! I have finally decided that it would be best, well for me anyway! to start a journal where if you feel you'd like to help out that would be greatly appreciated. I have taken a lot of inspiration from other members tanks and that may show in what I have done so far.

Ok so the tank..
70L old jewel tank
Fluval 205 external filter
Lighting is an all pond solutions over tank lighting unit containing 2, 24w t5 bulbs
I have a pressurised co2 system in place doing about 3 bps through a glass diffuser
I am dossing TPN+ 5ml daily and seachem exel 2ml daily

A few pics
100_1717.jpg

100_1716.jpg

100_1715.jpg

my first problem i'd like some help with is the co2 and more specifically the diffuser. At the moment it is sat under the spray bar but this does not seem to be pushing the co2 bubbles down very far certainly not reaching the blyxa japonica and the dwarf hair grass. I was considering buying a powerhead but wouldn't have a clue which one to buy....any help would be great..

Thanks for looking

Jay

Nice start.Where'd you get plants from & what fish you planning on?
Hi see your from Gloucestershire too!! I purchased from Aquajardin just outside Glos. also ordered some hair grass from Aqua essentials and the Japonica from The green machine. I am planning on keeping a pair of german blue rams in it.

Jay

wink.gif

Aquajardin's good.Love the display tank.Use AE fair bit to.Are you softening the water for the Rams?
Haven't really thought to much about that yet... may start mixing RO water into water changes eventually to lower it a bit. Something I will need to think about and if no decent solution I will go with something else... and yeah I love the Aquajardin! really good shop

Jay

Any help on a power head for this tank? the dimensions are 60 length x 30 width 46.5 height cm, 70l capacity. want to help with the distribution of co2 around the tank. thanks

Jay

Hola!
I would like some advice on some fish to keep in this tank. (70l 60cm) I was initially hoping to get a pair of blue rams but I believe the water round here to be pretty hard!! So looking for some more ideas. I was thinking of maybe a shoal of galaxy raspora but don't know much about these. Any advice appreciated.

Jay

CPD
depends how dedicated you want to be, but ½ & ½ Ro water & tap water would halve your water hardness.If it's like mine, then ATM it's dGh9.
A.Habitat would probably be closest to you in Churchdown?, they sell RO for 15p a litre (off the top of my head), or the P@H in chelt have a Marine section so think they sell as well.

edit:thinking of doing this myself.

I have a store that I believe does ro water near by. Water hardness will likely be the same? Although I'm from the forest. I think I may go that route. Would my tank be big enough as I think I'm really on the min size required?

Jay

sorry, got you confused with another member who's in Glos.
The forest might be on different water supply to me.Most LFS should be able to test it for you.
It's upto you, but personally i like to try and keep the fish in vaguely appropriate water.
i've not kept either GBR's or CPD's because i was under the impression that they're a bit sensitive to hardish water & don't colour up as well.
Check out the 'New World' forum for more info on GBR's

Week 2!

Ok so this is how the tank is looking start of week 2. To me it looks like there has been growth, certainly in some of the plants. The hair grass seems to have spread a bit, I have just trimmed it hence a few stray bits floating! The plants are still green which is always a good thing!!

Have been looking about for a powerhead and have found this http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/hydor-koralia-nano-900-circulation-pump-p-3471.html please let me know if you feel this will do the job of spreading the CO2 about more effectively.

Some pics

A couple of the inhabitants
100_1731.jpg

Full view
100_1727.jpg

100_1726.jpg

100_1723.jpg

Thank you for looking

Jay

sorry, got you confused with another member who's in Glos.
The forest might be on different water supply to me.Most LFS should be able to test it for you.
It's upto you, but personally i like to try and keep the fish in vaguely appropriate water.
i've not kept either GBR's or CPD's because i was under the impression that they're a bit sensitive to hardish water & don't colour up as well.
Check out the 'New World' forum for more info on GBR's
Yes I agree on making sure the habitat you have created is suitable for the fish. I will find out my water hardness and then ask in that part of the forum, thank you

Jay

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back