First Fish

JamesTasker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I read that you want to start your tank with a few small, hearty and inexpensive fish. I was originally going to start with platys but I've decided that I don't like them anymore and I'd like something a little more interesting but still cheap. Any ideas for fish that are good to mature tanks?

Thanks a lot. :alien:

I don't think any fish are good to "mature" a tank, if by that you mean cycling it. Putting fish into an un-cycled, new tank means that they will suffer from ammonia poisoning, and then, as the beneficial bacteria develop, nitrite poisoning, for up to 3 months. Even if they survive they are likely to suffer health problems for life. I do believe it's a welfare issue.

It is also likely to cost a lot more since the chances of most fish surviving such treatment is slim.

I strongly recommend you read up on Fishless Cycling and then come back to us. We'd be pleased to help you and once you understand how to cycle (aka "mature) a tank without fish you can take your pick as to the sort of fish you have for the size of your tank.

I don't think any fish are good to "mature" a tank, if by that you mean cycling it.
fully agree :)

try fishless cycling - you can then spend some time looking / reading about your first fish.
thats can be fun
:)

Hiya,

Just click on the links in my signature and enjoy :) This should help clarify a few things for you :)

Matt

:p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

I like your sig MattL. :D

I agree with the others on the fishless cycling. :)

I'm with them - fishless cycling is the best. I know it's difficult to look at an empty tank, but just think, at the end you can go and get the fish you really want instead of being stuck with some that you only wanted for cycling. It's a much "friendlier" way of starting, no fish are harmed so in the long run, it's cheaper. :nod:

OK I am new to Tropical Fish & learned the hard way about cycling a tank. I thought it was as simple as treating the water & throwing in some fish. Nice of the pet store to clue me in. I also blame myself for not doing my homework. However I can't go back now & have read up on fishless cycling & will now do nothing else. I started out with a 2 gallon tank with 2 many fish. I had a Dalmatian Molly (didn't make it) I still have my cory albino catfish, a platy and one neon tetra. (Lost 2 others) I know now that this is way too many fish for a 2 gallon tank. I have since purchased a 12 gallon tank to move the 3 fish that I have left over. Ideally I would like to add a few more tetras and maybe another cory cat but I do not want to overload so I don't know. I just don't want the current guys to be lonely.

My big question is... what is the deal with Bio-Spira? As of right now my 12 gallon is full or proper pH water & decor. I don't know if I should or how to use the Bio-Spira or if I should just do a straight fishless cycle. Also when is it safe to move my current fish from the 2 gallon? They are in the middle of a cycle in the 2 gallon tank now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
:D

Hi James, trust me when I say these guys and ladies know what they are talking about when it comes to fishless cycling. I did the wrong thing and put way too many fish in a new tank and I,m still paying the price a month later. But why not muck around with some live plants, rocks and driftwood. You can spend hours getting the look just right, changing your mind, moving things around etc. I "aquascaped" a foot of tank each night going back to the LFS buying more plants to fit in with what I was trying to create. By the time the fish are ready to go in the plants will be established, the rocks and the driftwood will get that been there for years natural look. The live plants need fertilizer to start them though as no fish poop in there to feed them yet. Those slow release hydro tablets that you push into the gravel are good.

Fishless cycling also enables the plants to establish their roots better, nothing is knocking them about or grubbing around in the substrate.

i only done a fish less cycle for 2 weeks got so bored just looking at plants i put 6 cherry barbs in,
kept them in for 2 weeks and added more fish.
had mine tank running for 9 months now and havn't lost one fish in fact had babys
so i must be doing something right.
BUT the tank was a old tank of a m8 of mine would that help the cycle even thought i did change everthing in it the fillter was so bad you had to jiggle the wire to get it to start :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
didn't fancy doing that with my hand in 39 gallons of water :S

focus said:
i only done a fish less cycle for 2 weeks got so bored just looking at plants i put 6 cherry barbs in,
kept them in for 2 weeks and added more fish.
had mine tank running for 9 months now and havn't lost one fish in fact had babys
so i must be doing something right.
I think you just lucked out - cherry barbs can be pretty tough. However, it certainly isn't to be recommended and you could have easily lost fish.

The only way an old tank will cycle quicker is if, as I did with my first tank, you move it with the intention of keeping the bacteria alive as long as possible. I transfered filter (a large one with plenty of bacteria), gravel, water, plants, rocks and fish all at once.

I don't think I mean cycling. After the tank has cycled with no fish in, it was recomended to me to not put in fish such as cardinal tetras and loaches until the tank has had time to 'mature' with fish in it, hardy ones and thats where I need suggestions. From what you guys were saying it sounded like it was ok to add any fish (whose requirements match the water in the tnak) right at the beginning?

JamesTasker said:
I don't think I mean cycling. After the tank has cycled with no fish in, it was recomended to me to not put in fish such as cardinal tetras and loaches until the tank has had time to 'mature' with fish in it, hardy ones and thats where I need suggestions. From what you guys were saying it sounded like it was ok to add any fish (whose requirements match the water in the tnak) right at the beginning?
Euphemisms like "mature" are very confusing. What you have to remember is that your LFS guys probably haven't even heard of Fishless Cycling, so even when they do hear about it, they carry on giving the same advice as for cycling with fish.

Provided you add enough ammonia during the Fishless Cycling phase it is perfectly fine to add an entire stock to a tank at once, even of so-called "delicate" fish. I am often astounded to read that that happy and healthy fish I have in my tank, right from newbie status are "non-hardy" and "delicate". They look pretty tough to me!

However, the reason they are pretty tough is that I've always understood about the need to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, right from the off (I was given a "matured" tank by a friend and we carefully transported the filter in oxygenated water and the gravel, plus gallons of the water).

If you cycle your tank properly, following the instructions on one of the Fishless Cycling sites, you can take your pick of appropriate fish. You could even start with rummy-nosed tetras, pencilfish, loaches or many of the other "delicate" fish (I don't personally consider cardinals delicate, not in a cycled tank), provided you're committed to doing the weekly partial water changes and keeping a good eye on your tank. Just keep a check on their adult sizes, whether they are schooling fish or not and how territorial they are.

Most reactions

Back