First Ever Aquarium - 240 Litre - Small Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213 said:
mines just above 7.4 and they fare fine
i gave my mate some and his is a lot lower than mine and they also fare well.
you should be fine with them
smile.png

Awesome, where can you buy them from. None of my LFS sell floating plants (And I live in Swindon).

EllieJellyEllie said:
If you treat the tank with copper then you can nevrr have invertebrates in that tank

Why, does it linger permanently?

i bought mine off of amazon.
but if you post in classifieds here you may get lucky with someone having some going :)
good luck.

I heard that buying off the internet can be dodgy; snails etc.

FlyingFish78 said:

smile.png

Awesome, where can you buy them from. None of my LFS sell floating plants (And I live in Swindon).

EllieJellyEllie said:
If you treat the tank with copper then you can nevrr have invertebrates in that tank

It leaches into the silicone and will leach out for a long long long time, this is why they say once treated it cant house shrimp etc ever again

Alasse said:

smile.png

EllieJellyEllie said:

It leaches into the silicone and will leach out for a long long long time, this is why they say once treated it cant house shrimp etc ever again

Well that's fine by me because I want to keep the option of copper sulphate treatment open. In a worst case scenario of a snail infestation I need the nuke option.

FlyingFish78 said:
you should be fine with them :)

EllieJellyEllie said:

Oops, I should have said I heard. Im pretty sure it does. So are you treating with copper?

EllieJellyEllie said:

smile.png

EllieJellyEllie said:

Oops, I should have said I heard. Im pretty sure it does. So are you treating with copper?

No as the tank is fairly new and there are no snails in there. It's something I want retain as an option for future use.

Just make sure that you cant have invertebrates after, and maybe you can just get a few assasin snails instead as unnecessary treatemnts stress the fish as well. As long as you dont overfeed snails shouldnt be a problem

FlyingFish78 said:
I heard that buying off the internet can be dodgy; snails etc.
i have never had any trouble as long as you buy from a reputable seller.
or as i said off of here as nobody here is looking to cause harm to your tank/s

I don't believe it. Just after I had a look at this thread, guess what... Another snail! I promptly removed it.

Oh well I guess that means my tank will have snails from now on. Maybe I'll get a clown loach or assassin snails or something.

put a bit of lettuce on the substrate in the middle so you can see it.
once its covered in snails. then remove :)

Dont get a clown loach! They grow to be 16 inches long and need tanks of over 150 US gallons or 578L. They are also shoaling fish.

Assasin snails would be your best pet. Or, turn a washed jar sideways, hold a peice of romaine lettuce down with a rock in it, and put it in your tank. Once it has snails in it, take it out. 

Some pictures finally :)

I wish to stress that it's far from complete. We'll soon be adding a black background as well as some smaller rocks to sit at the base of the larger rocks. As for the plants: There are currently only several real plants in the tank; two Amazon Swords attached to bogwood and some Egeria Densa, which isn't doing too well (Probably the EasyCarbo). Eventually I plan to have an entirely planted tank, with tall plants at the back and smaller ones nearer the front; on the gravel.

We'll be adding twelve Cardinal Tetras hopefully starting next weekend with six. Beyond that the filter will need to be upgraded to accommodate more fish. Presently it's running on a Fluval 306 but when finances allow we'll probably purchase a 406.

Comments are more than appreciated.

AquaPit said:
Good Looking Tank! Love the rocks!

The rocks will be complimented by smaller rocks around the base of the larger ones at some stage.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back