First Aquarium Fail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello! So the last aquarium I had completly FAILED and now Im at it again!

I had 2 guppies, I think a male and female. And I had 4 tetras, 2 males and 2 females from what I beleive. I also sadley had a really agressive fish who Im not sure what he was. But he ate everyone the first go around.

So, pretty much, we got it up, running, and cycled, then got the fish. We placed the bags into the tank for 30 mins, then put them all in the tank. Well, the big fish hated all the tetras.... and ate them all.

So, we got more tetras. And a cat fish :p

We did the same thing. A month or two later the catfish and a guppy died. We didn't buy another guppy, just a catfish. And! One of the tetras was pregnant.

After a few days that I realized the tetra was pregnant, we looked in the tank to eggs! The next day it was all gone. .__.

A few months after that, we accidently used the wrong conditioner and every fishy died. We gave up.

Now my mom says if I make room and buy everything myself, I can start up a 10 gallon! :D So excited!

You can follow my story here!

Tbh you want bigger than a 10gal, a 10gal tank will be harder to keep the water right then a 50gal. Bigger the better imo and probably everyone elses.
What fish was eating all the others btw?

Make sure you learn from your mistakes. The compatibility issues were a big part of your problem. It's so easy nowdays on sites like this to check the fish go together you plan on buying. good luck.

Go for a 30 gallon minimum if you want to keep a few fish varieties.. look at the beginner resource centre on this website. It tells you all the basics. And most importantly.. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!

coolie, is a neon tetra what your profile picture is? If it isn't I have my breeds all mixed up. I had 4 of those fish! lol

Yes. Thats why I joined this forum. I think it was some sort of daneo? He was kind of big, and grey, and had 1 black stripe.

I dont have room for anything more than a ten gallon and to have my 29 gallon for the hermit crabs (They NEED it, out growing the 10) and a 10 gallon fish tank means guinea pig stuff is now in the closet and I need to also buy a seccond hand table
confused.gif

Im hoping to have 1-3 male guppies if thats okay to house males together (I dont want pregnant females) and 6-8 tetras (I have learned I cant keep neon tetras in a 10 gallon) but I dont know which kind.

I also want 1-2 otto catfish and maybe a snail?

For plants I want a moss ball, but I know you have to rotate them every once in a while to keep them from rotting, and maybe a java fern, or melon sword.

If this is okay that would be AWESOME! And if you could what is the best tetra for a 10 gallon, and the best snail, or even catfish.

Thanks for all the great information!

One more thing. I have a avail tail betta from what I can tell. Here are some pictures_

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters[user]=137234679&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137234679&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=1377822840060016320470287221622

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters[user]=137234679&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1078_zps85476eca.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137234679&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=1&_suid=1377822840060016320470287221622

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters[user]=137234679&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1077_zps01c4ccd6.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137234679&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=2&_suid=1377822840060016320470287221622

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters[user]=137234679&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1076_zpsfc7938b3.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137234679&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=3&_suid=1377822840060016320470287221622

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1079_zps2f4e8b6e.jpg.html?filters[user]=137234679&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/PigsnPets/media/IMG_1075_zpse9ffb15b.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137234679&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=4&_suid=1377822840060016320470287221622

Ill get one of him flariing when I can

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/ Check this out to look at some tetras suitable. for a 10g.

Are you going to be moving your betta into the new 10g? From what I can tell in the pics it does not look like he's in a suitable home.
Here's a care sheet on them: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423362-betta-splendens-caresheet/

I personally wouldn't do the otos, I've heard of them being sensitive, and they like to be in groups so 6+, although lots of people keep them in lower numbers unfortunately :(
Would stick to snails as your clean up crew.

How many snails and what kind? 

I know he isnt in a suitable home. I am saving up for a used 5 gallon. Then if I get my 29 gallon I will use my ten gallon I have. But if I dont, Ill just buy a 10 gallon as well.

Ok. What about algae fish? Could I get 1-2 algae eaters, 1-2 snails, 3 male guppies, and 4 Ember Tetras? Or do I have to get more/less tetras. I dont want them to be too spazztic and I heard 6 or more calms them down a bit.

And,  Should I start a new thread with all my questions or just load them all on this thread? I am such a newbie and have lots and lots of questions.

schooling fish 6 or more
what do you mean by algae eaters? 
i dont really like the idea of any bottom feeders in nanos besides inverts but thats me.

I'm not sure if you need to open a new thread or not for your questions.
By algae eaters what do you mean? Otos are used for algae eating but they like to be in groups, which is why I suggested the snails instead. You could also do shrimp, though if you put the betta in he may eat them.
If you mean a pleco, I don't think there are any suitable for this size tank.

Things like the flying fox, garra, and bristlenose.

Ok. Im just loading on the questions here because I dont feel like starting a new thread.

Can mollies and guppies live together in a ten gallon? 2-3 of each maybe?

How many snails should I get and what kind are best for 10 gallon tanks when youre a newbie?

What is the best fish food brand?

Does this fish list sound good- 2 male guppies, 2 male mollies, 6 ember tetras,  however many snails, and a small algae eater?

What live plants should I get? Im not sure. Are moss balls hard? 

What is a shoal? I have been reading threads and a shoal is mentioned alot.

What are the easiest fish to care for?

Do you reccomend sand or gravel?

What are your favorite aqaurium ornaments?

Favorite brands for test kits, heaters, filters, water conditioners, and anything else?

What lid do you reccomend? Would a screen lid work?

If I do a live tank do I need a grow light?

I have heard of people using like, underwater plant fertizer? Is this true? What is this?

What do I need to set up the 10 gallon? Im sure Im missing things on my list.

flying fox, garra, and bristlenose
no no no
mollies need a big tank so no on that too.

Those are all too big for your tank, afaik. I don't know their exact tank size requirements except the bn, which needs a 30g.
I believe it depends on the molly, sailfin mollys need a 30g, IIRC. Not sure on the other types.

I don't think there are any snails that have special requirements so they're all fine for newbies. It really depends on what you'd like, I think.

Some good brands of fish food I've heard of are omega one and new life spectrum, I use NLS micro pellets for my rummynose tetras and gertrude rainbows.

Not sure on the list, stocking is not my strong suit :p

Afaik moss balls aren't difficult, hopefully someone else can give you a good list of low maintenance plants.

Shoaling fish means they need to be kept in groups to be comfortable, minimum number of 6.

I don't think there is any specific fish labelled as the easiest, most are not very demanding. Make sure their tank is cycled, water is kept clean through weekly water changes, and feed them. :p

Sand or gravel depends on the type of fish you have and what you like. I think sand looks better and is easier to clean, and lots of fish prefer it. Corydoras and kuhli loaches for example.

I love asian aquarium ornaments but a lot of people just prefer a nice piece of driftwood and some live plants.

Things I use:
Test Kit: API
Heaters: Marineland & Aqueon
Filters: Aquatech & Aqueon
Dechlorinator: Prime
Hoods: Aqueon deluxe, I imagine screen lids would work but not 100% sure on that.

There are some very low maintenance/low light plants that I think you don't need a specific bulb for, but not 100% sure.
There are liquid, powder, and capsule fertilizers. You don't have to use them.

I think your list is fine, the only thing that seems to be missing is a stand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back