Fire Extinguisher for co2?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koglin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I have been looking into a co2 setup recently after determining it would be more beneficial for me to manage one for the plants I am wanting. I read through @DrRob's thread regarding DIY co2 with a co2-only fire extinguisher. The thread is a bit old now, and I'll link to it below.

Just wondered if anyone has tried this more recently, and how it worked out for them?

Hi I use a fire extinguisher with mine really easy to use just screws on like a normal cylinder and you put a cable tie round the handles to keep the gas flowing. I’d recommend a dual stage regulator to go with it which is a bit pricey but worth it Co2 can be dangerous so it’s important to do it properly.

There are a few members using a different Co2 method with an upturned bottle that could be worth investigating too.

If I were to do co2 I would just get the co2 from my local brewing store, seems easier than jury-rigging a fire extinguisher. Benefits to a brew store is also that they're likely to be found in rural locales too since waaay more people brew than keep fish haha. They would probably also have a good amount of the plumbing you would want too (minus the diffuser, with brewing you just force pressurize to carbonate your beer). Please tell me if this is something someone has already explored and it didn't work out, I don't want to be suggesting ideas that dont work in practice!

Also, I don't know how much co2 a tank needs, but for a small one, something that is done in brewing circles is if you bring a keg along and want to keep it pressurized, you can use a paintball co2 cartridge and a regulator designed for it. It would be a really nice space-saving approach for a small tank, assuming you don't have to change out the cartridge daily....

Can you find cheap co2 fire extinguisher and can they be refilled?

I did find a 5 LB. STEEL CO2 CYLINDER – RECONDITIONED for $40 online ($12 shipping for me). It has been recertified which mean it can be refilled for another 5 years before needed recertification.

If I were to do co2 I would just get the co2 from my local brewing store, seems easier than jury-rigging a fire extinguisher. Benefits to a brew store is also that they're likely to be found in rural locales too since waaay more people brew than keep fish haha. They would probably also have a good amount of the plumbing you would want too (minus the diffuser, with brewing you just force pressurize to carbonate your beer). Please tell me if this is something someone has already explored and it didn't work out, I don't want to be suggesting ideas that dont work in practice!

To reply to both of you:

It's always best to play it safe - which is understandable. I looked around online for a while and found "some" videos and guides on rigging a co2 only extinguisher for the aquarium. It's definitely not unheard of, just doesn't seem widely talked about these days - likely because of all the co2 systems on the market now compared to when that article was written (like 2010 I think? Would have to look again).

Far as cost, I plan on doing more research into the extinguisher differences themselves, as there are multiple classes of them dependant on the type of fire they are most likely to encounter. From my warehouse experience, if I remember right, class b extinguishers are co2. Extinguishers advertised as co2 only seem to be $100 or so, but there are a lot of cheaper options that may also be co2 only. I found some empty ones new for around $25 that need to be refilled.

*Edit: just crossed my mind, I'm sure we could find the sds sheets for any extinguisher we were to look at to see exactly what the gas inside is comprised of.

@mcordelia makes a good point of locale/rural compressed gas suppliers for servicing. You could also check with commercial compressed gas suppliers like AirGas (I know they're in the US not sure about elsewhere) but they do have storefronts you can go into for services/supplies. These companies would likely have the best direction or services to refill a co2 only extinguisher, or possibly even just sell a comparable tank size of co2 that they could refill as needed. Welding supply companies could also point in the right direction I bet (depending on the person you get to talk to).

To recertify, I would assume you could call companies such as AirGas (I use to order all my gases through them as an industrial Buyer II) they have about anything you could want, and can even mix things to your need. Not sure if they would refill a fire extinguisher, but - they could definitely direct you to someone that could if not. If they wouldn't, they likely have smaller cylinders you could just rent or buy and have them filled with co2.

I assume we could also call our local fire departments for better direction on refilling/recertifying a co2 only extinguisher. However, I think the biggest part that worries me is making sure I have good quality equipment to handle the task at hand (looking at 5-15 lb.-ers personally).

Not a project to be frugal with spending on.

I'll reach out to a couple places today and see if I can't find some direction for us as far as maintenance of the tank itself goes. Will post later.

Last edited:
Hi I use a fire extinguisher with mine really easy to use just screws on like a normal cylinder and you put a cable tie round the handles to keep the gas flowing. I’d recommend a dual stage regulator to go with it which is a bit pricey but worth it Co2 can be dangerous so it’s important to do it properly.

There are a few members using a different Co2 method with an upturned bottle that could be worth investigating too.
Hey Wills, recently picked up a fire extinguisher, what regulator do you use? Is it dual?

haven't used CO2 for some time - but i used to use a sodastream cylinder. Maybe not the cheapest source but one canister lasted well over a year in a 450 litre (heavily) planted tank.

haven't used CO2 for some time - but i used to use a sodastream cylinder. Maybe not the cheapest source but one canister lasted well over a year in a 450 litre (heavily) planted tank.

Good to know, been looking at even more tank options. To get a straight co2 extinguisher is pricier than id hoped, but still a lot more qty for the cost than what my local stores sell.

Waiting till business hrs Monday to call the fire dept. again, tried the other day but the guy said the person I should talk to out of town till mon.

I called airgas too but never got ahold of anyone.. gonna call them again mon. along with the f.d.

Far as price goes.. lol that's all still in the air. Seems most avenues for straight co2 are gonna run on the pricier end regardless for a large/reliable source, this point just figuring best qty for the $.

Thanks for the tip about soda stream cylinders too, appreciate it and will check it out =]

*Edit - First glance, I'm amazed I hadn't heard of this before and that I didn't come across them when I was searching co2 cylinders and tanks =\ the exchange program sounds like a lot less footprint on the environment too so - bonus.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back