CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
Common name/s: Fire Eel, Spotted Fire Eel

Scientific name: Mastacembelus erythrotaenia

Family: Mastacembelidae

Origin: Asia

Maximum size: 20-24" in captivity, but can get 30-40" in the wild

Care: Commonly seen in the aquarium trade, this Spiny Eel grows to 2 feet, and so needs a big tank, with big filtration, and a standard 6x2x2 (180 gallons) will be sufficient for an adult fish. A sand substrate is appreciated as they like to dig, but don't have one too thick, as they may stay under there for a long time, so an inch would be fine. Try to avoid sharp objects, as their skin is quite delicate. In the wild they live in slow moving rivers, so a gentle current is best and dim lighting would be preferable. As for water parameters, pH 6-7.5 and a temperature of 75-81°F would be good, but they aren't too fussy.

Feeding: Needs live food in its diet, at least initially. Will take bloodworms, tubflex worms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp etc when younger, but should take fish, like whitebait lance fish etc when older.

Sexing and breeding: Only larger fish are sexable. Mature females appear plumper than males. Breeding is very difficult, and seldom occurs, but when it does they will lay 900-1200 eggs on and in floating plants. Best water would be around 10-15 dH and a pH of 7.

Comments: Often simply labelled Spiny Eel, bought by people thinking it will get to 12" like the smaller Peacock Spiny Eel, but in fact grows much bigger. They are easily recognisable, by their long red bands, and spots, that cover the head and body. When younger, Fire Eels stripes and spots appear more yellow than red.

Many thanks to Ringham for giving me permission to use this photo of his Fire Eel

FIRE_EEL.jpg

to add on, fire eels will feed on smaller tankmates if capable of, hence ideal tank mates should be of around equal size. however, it has been observed that tank mates that are already present when the fire eel is first added to the aquarium will not be bothered, whereas newer tank mates will face the risk of being eaten.

further more, a tight lid should also be used, same for any long, slender fish, as they will often try to escape from the aquarium. juvenile fire eels of smaller sizes may be able to live together with other juvenile fire eels, however as they grow larger, fire eels will not tolerate tank mates of its own species.

overall an intelligent species comparable to the oscar which is able to form bonds with its owners and interact accordingly. fire eels that has been kept for awhile will gladly take food directly off its owner's hand.

Thought I'd add a photo of my fire eel, he's a good 25-30cm now and fat too :lol:

Attachments

• fireeel.jpg
    fireeel.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 426
My Tire Track Eel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPEMTS4aHw

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back