Finrot, or not?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

darthjoe

Reaction score
I keep my beta in a Sea Candy Aquavase (http://www.petco.com/familylisting.asp?fam...&cm_ite=1446860). It's a 1 gallon tank with a small filter on it.

He seems perfectly happy, and is constantly blowing bubble nests. We feed him 2 or 3 pieces of Beta Bites everyday, and he chows them down happily. He's very active and dances for us (wiggles around at the edge of the tank) when we enter the room. :)

Today, I noticed his fins seem a little chewed up on the ends. I'm kind of new to fish keeping, and I've heard it's not uncommon for Betas to get finrot...although I'm not exactly sure what it looks like or what the symptoms are. They aren't bloody or white on the ends...they just look more tattered and torn...

I have a plastic plant with pointy edges on it (kind of shaped like a spruce tree), and I'm unsure if this is the cause or not. I've noticed his fin's look like they get caught on it occasionally, but I'm unsure if the fake plant is the culprit or not. I'm going to remove it and see if it helps or not, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight, and an in depth introduction to finrot, just incase this is the problem. :)

My wife and I have grown very fond of Squishy (our Beta's name), and I want to make sure his fin problems are nothing serious. Thanks for any help. :)

You can tell when it is fin rot because the end+of the fin will turn black and fall off. I would say that most likely if there is no black and you are keeping the water clean that the plant is the culprit. Go ahead and take it out and get a silk one, plastic plants are not good for betta's because they do rip fins as you have learned the hard way. Good luck with your fish. :)

Welcome to the world of Bettas ;) . Once you get one you will wanna go out and get more (I know 1st hand, lost count on how many I have :lol: ) I agree with everything that Jayderana has said. I would get rid of the plastic plant A SAP. I think thats what your betta is getting his tail ripped with. I Hope your betta's fin heals quick.

This dosen't really have much to do with the topic, but, how do you keep the tank warm?

Most reactions

Back