Finally Set Up My 7Gallon Nano For A Betta!

TaurineLittle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey hey! After finishing my 250L planted tank and moving to the gfs place, I finally got around to setting up my 27Litre / 7gallon nano. I got a sponge filter off eBay and am cycling the tank as we speak with a fishless cycle. Its a pretty getto setup with a desklamp over the tank
tongue2.gif
but I like it.
The betta that I'm wanting to get is a black, white and red Crowntail. I know that is a bit specific haha but I asked my LFS (the best LFS I have been to) and they said that they will keep an eye out for one while my tank is cycling
smile.png

9354836641_97183cee2f_b.jpg
9357611450_a55527d1e1_b.jpg

The slate is just holding the wood down till it waterlogs. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions
smile.png

Looks lovely.
You could do with a tall broad leafed plant as Bettas like to lay on the leaves near the surface.
Has the tank got a lid as Bettas are jumpers?

Yeah I am going to get a lid, haha forgot to mention that -.-
Thanks, not sure what kind of plant I should get. Any suggestions? :)

Anubia :) would look great attached to your wood.

Looks great, looking forward to meeting your betta too :D

Nice piece of wood! Where did you find it?

It looks great!

+1 on adding some anubias.

I look forward to seeing your Betta :D

+1 on the broad leaf plants.
Mine sits on caboma like he's in a hammock.
Don't forget a heater.
And you can't say Ghetto, that's not pc, it's urban.

Either anubias o java fern. You can put moss if you like! Nice tank btw! :)

Thanks for all the replies
smile.png
in the second photo you can actually see an anubias
tongue2.gif
I got the plant for free cause the shop thought it was dead... psht, goes to show how Co2 and some light can do for plants
tongue2.gif
(I know its a low light plant btw haha) I wedged it in the center of the wood, I'm hoping that it will attach soon enough.

@TT01 - I found it at PetStock, they might not be the best on advice in the fish department but they have a few decent products.

@BLF - I got the wood off someone down near Sellicks Beach, he said it was goldvine but I honestly don't know what it is haha, all I know is that it is safe to use
smile.png

@frapadoodle -  I might have to have a look into caboma, thanks! I got a 25w heater in the back corner with the sponge filter, I've tried to hide it all with the sag.

@DerpPH - Thanks man! I've tried java fern before and not a real fan tbh, the fact that it propagates through the leaves is a big turn-off for me
confused.gif
I've tried java moss before as well and I let it get a bit out of hand haha. Might give it another shot, its tempting
tongue2.gif

O.O I just noticed how many emoticons I use... sorry if they hurt anyones eyes...

I love the look of this setup!  Bolbitus ferns are another favorite of mine with bettas.  You attach them to stuff like you would anubias and java ferns but they have the true "fern" leaf look to them.  I suggest when attaching any of these plants to tie them down so you don't have to worry about how long it takes for them to "root" to the object.  I use clear fishing line but I know other people who use sewing thread as well.  definitely make sure you get a lid but other than that it looks excellent.

Myself prefer more plant than wood because betta live in heavily planted area.

Lillefishy said:
Looks lovely.
You could do with a tall broad leafed plant as Bettas like to lay on the leaves near the surface.
ncguppy830 said:
nice tank plus 1 on the lid wouldnt want to lose your betta

I think they won't jump is the water condition is good ?

singlecutguitar said:

Looks lovely.
ncguppy830 said:

Bettas will jump even with the water being pristine.  Water quality has nothing to do with them jumping.  They naturally prey on insects on or near the water surface so jumping is instinctive for them and they will jump out of the smallest hole in a lid for no apparent reason often resulting in their death.  Lids are required to make sure this doesn't happen.

Wildbetta said:

Looks lovely.
ncguppy830 said:

Bettas will jump even with the water being pristine.  Water quality has nothing to do with them jumping.  They naturally prey on insects on or near the water surface so jumping is instinctive for them and they will jump out of the smallest hole in a lid for no apparent reason often resulting in their death.  Lids are required to make sure this doesn't happen.

Myself don't have experience with jumping bettas, maybe due the low water level in my tank.

Yes they do love insect, I feed mine with mosquito and mosquito larvae. He do love it very much. But since I move him in community tank, I feed him flakes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back