Finally Getting Some Fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lizi_angelfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Finally getting some fish this weekend! Very excited!

For those that don't know, we have a 15gal tank which is cycled - 60x30x35. pH is 7.4ish. Water is very soft (oh, the joys of Manchester!)

1) Initially going to start with the lower levels then add a couple more fish in a week or so I think...
Unfortunately my boyfriend is not too keen on Pygmy Corys which is a shame cos I think they are cute as a button. Instead he has suggested a small group of Julis or three lined Corys or a BN plec. As it is a 15 gal tank, is this too small for a single BN? Ive read it is but just wanted to get some opinions.

2) Tank mates - definitely shrimp. Maybe guppies or endlers. Love CPD but they are so expensive compared to other shoaling fish in MA. Although I do like blue rams (I realise they are too big) - is there something smaller but similar that would be suitable for a my comditions and 15 gal in a few weeks?

3) Much rather 3 biggish fish than a few small ones - having said that, I do like endlers.

Thanks for suggestions. I have really looked around but it's so difficult to decide and I feel like I've searched 100s of fish to get no further in knowing what I definitely want (because I want everything....)

As it is a 15 gal tank, is this too small for a single BN? Ive read it is but just wanted to get some opinions.
It's just about big enough for a BN but he'll really add to the bioload, back of the envelope thinking for weekly waterchanges to manage nitrate he'd be 40-50% of your bioload.

BN, cherry shrimp and Endlers can be a nice combo and you could reasonably have quite a large shoal and a fair few cherry's.

Hiya
For a 15g tank I would recommend a Butterfly Pleco (Dekeyseria Pulcher) rather than the BN. These little guys are fantastic algae eaters, hardy and like softer water. I've had one for a few years and they are real little characters.

Happy stocking! :good:

Just wanted to say congrats that your tank is cycled Lizi! Hope you have lots of fun choosing your stock :)

Hiya
For a 15g tank I would recommend a Butterfly Pleco (Dekeyseria Pulcher) rather than the BN. These little guys are fantastic algae eaters, hardy and like softer water. I've had one for a few years and they are real little characters.

Happy stocking! :good:

They are gorgeous! They look to grow pretty big too though! So cute! If they are fine to keep in a 15gal which it says on another website too, then I will see if they stock them!

If you get a juvenile fish - will it produce less ammonia? By that I mean, will my tank handle a junior plec and some junior endlers being added at the same time if their bio load is smaller as juveniles?

As it is a 15 gal tank, is this too small for a single BN? Ive read it is but just wanted to get some opinions.
It's just about big enough for a BN but he'll really add to the bioload, back of the envelope thinking for weekly waterchanges to manage nitrate he'd be 40-50% of your bioload.

BN, cherry shrimp and Endlers can be a nice combo and you could reasonably have quite a large shoal and a fair few cherry's.

I like the idea of that setup.
What about some larger fish options? So excited!
Thanks!

my stocking for my 15 gal is as seen below in my sig, and I would not recommend a plec as they poo alot and make the tank look nasty

I like the idea of that setup.
What about some larger fish options? So excited!
Thanks!
Well I wouldn't want to recommend larger fish as I'm rubbish at choosing feature fish. :S

I would recommend a female BN over a butterfly but that's just my personal preference. I see the appeal of butterfly's but love my BN's dearly.

Do be careful buying butterfly pleco's as that common name is used for two species of pleco (one voracious algae eater one less so) and I've even seen it on bornean loaches.

Got 4 guppies on Thursday! They seem happy so might get a couple more fish tomorrow morning?

They are all male guppies, and I know they aren't shoaling, but in everyone's experience, are they better to be in a later group than 4? Or can we think about another small shoal and some juli or a BN?

Just as an aside, we got the guppies deliberately from the exact store in Stockport that was on watchdog the other week and noticed similar conditions to the report on the programme. :-s

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back