The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My 10g is finally done cycling. Zero ammonia. and zero nitrite in 12 hours after adding 5ppm worth of ammonia!
So happy its finally done!

Now taking bids on what i should stock it with. My idea is thus:

1 Betta (betta in something bigger than two gallons! Apalling!)
4 Cory cats (not sure which kind, someone help me on this, how big do they grow?)
5-6 Ghost shrimps (almost no bioload if what i hear is right)

Is that over/understocked? My tank is fairly heavilly planted, java moss EVERYWHERE, a few onions, and a small flock of java ferns. Theres two pieces of a 'wrecked ship' in, and one fairly large piece of bogwood. Epoxy gravel substrate.

Any and all ideas are welcome, get creative people :D

PS As a side note, i have no idea how i'm going to get the fish in there. Should i do it all at once, or over a week or so? I live about an hour from the nearest lfs and its the middle of the winter. How can i transport fish without killing them in the process?

Good stock ideas. However that may be overstocked. The rule is one fish per one gallon. Try not to exceed ten fish since you have a ten gallon. However If I were you Id get two cory cats (or snails) and three african dwarf frogs in there. African dwarf frogs are really neat and fun to have and they do great with bettas. They eat bloodworms (so do the bettas, so thats good) and some that are not picky eat brine shrimp. However if you get the frogs you may not want the ghost shrimp. They will eat them.
ALSO...
Is your betta a male? Because if it is a female you can keep more than one female together, just so you know. :kana:
If it is winter time I suggest you but a small little heater to put in the tank to keep the water warm. Also buy a thermometer to make sure that the temp stays at a normal level. (Although betta's can handle cold water your tank mates may not). AND yes you can buy all the fish at once, just make sure you have the heater on in your car and they should be fine. Also make sure that when you buy them you let them (while being in the plastic bag still) sit in the tank so they can adjust to the waters temp. I hope the advice works for you! :yahoo:

:lol:

I would just keep to your original stocking the corys should be kept in groups of six but i think four will be ok two is unacceptable. The african dwarf frogs are often mislabelled just to sell and will get huge (think softball here) and eat anything and everything they can get. The shrimp will be great espeially with a well planted tank and they produce almost no bioload on the tank so you wont be overstocked.

As for purchasing the fish go with the betta & shrimp one week and the corys the next, that will give the tank time to mature for the bio-load you will have put on it, and if you are transporting for a short distance just keep the paper bag the fish are in closed and out of the elements as much as possible, if it will be a long distance 3-4 hours have the fish bag filled with pure oxygen and make sure they keep warm.

Hope this helps.

TH

Some people go by the rule some don't. If I were them Id stay with five fish in a ten gallon, it's personl preference.

TH...that's not true. African dwarf frogs are great. They stay small and they are not SCAVENGERS. They eat bloodworms. If anything the ghost shrimps eat whatever they can find. They are the SCAVENGERS. Remember that they are called african DWARF frogs.

Yes but most pet stores sell these ADF that ARE NOT ADF and will grow to softball size, they are very often misidentified. The African Dwarf is a scavenger, yes, but as with almost any fish they will eat anything that will fit into there mouth i.e. SHRIMPS.

Stick with the original stock list and good luck to you IC.

:stupid: But you would be ok with a ten inch pleco in a ten?

who you calling stupid? :blush:

the one inch per gallon idea is absolute rubbish, if you are an experienced fish keeper or can work it out on your own its kind of obvious as to why it is...

No if they go to a good pet store they will get African Dwarf Frogs. Where do you shop at??? :X

I am not the store owner dumb ass. Stay with the topic.

AND I called nobody stupid. Everyone is entitled to they're own opinions.

:stupid: But you would be ok with a ten inch pleco in a ten?

who you calling stupid? :blush:

the one inch per gallon idea is absolute rubbish, if you are an experienced fish keeper or can work it out on your own its kind of obvious as to why it is...

:hyper: not you we all know who that is...and yes IF they go to a good pet store then MAYBE they will be labelled properly but i wouldnt bet on it.

And who said anything about you being a store owner? Oh your that person that breeds guppys for a store that you own but dont know the gestation period on a guppy and you allow your employees on your computer asking questions on here while they are on the clock. :good: so anyway to stay on topic.

ONCE AGAIN:

Keep with the original stock, it looks great...

TH

No if they go to a good pet store they will get African Dwarf Frogs. Where do you shop at??? :X

I am not the store owner dumb ass. Stay with the topic.

AND I called nobody stupid. Everyone is entitled to they're own opinions.

If you can actually read, he's quoting tnhowery. Taking your filthy mouth into account, I do believe your lifespan on these forums will undoubtedly be short.

Im not a pet store owner! Your so ignorant.

And you must shop a a trailer trashed pet store if stuff isnt labeled properly.

Im not a pet store owner! Your so ignorant.
well...

I breed fish for a living. It's just my opinions on what they could do, whether you agree with it or not.

Yet you seem to be one of the most clueless people I have EVER seen post on this site or any other.

If you really do own a petstore, then frankly I fell sorry for any of your stock and can only hope you go out of business sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back