Finally A Father

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phantomlink

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently picked up two pregnant guppies the other day and moved them into my birthing/fry tank. I can only assume they were stressed one of them died last night but the other gave birth this morning but she looks pretty stressed as well. something is going on with her tail it's not white spot but almost looks like a fungus.

Unfortunately I cant get a picture cause I'm at work but hopefully I can seperate her from the fry when I get home tonight

Was your birthing tank properly cycled?

Is her tail fuzzy? If so, sounds like fungus.

the birthing tank was filled with safe cycled water from the 125 gallon beside it. I think my cats were harassing them since the tank was so close to the ground. When I get home tonight I'm going to catch all the fry and put them in a breeding cage in the 125 while I figure the adult guppy out

firstly congratiolations,...second..Dont put the fry back into the 125, if there is some sort of disease or infection chances are you could move it into the 125 with the fry and this could cause bigger issues such as other fish becoming infected also a thing to bear in mind is the larger the tank the more medication you would need to use and the costs can also mount up ...
Being so small the fry may not be able to handle any form of medication you may need to dose and being newborn there immune systems may be weak making them more likely to become susceptible to the possible infection and also making it harder for them to fight off the disease.

As far as the fry go possibly the best thing you can do for them is to make sure that you maintain stable water conditions without doing too large of water changes, although the natural thought for you would of been to do big water changes to help cycle out the possible cause of infection this may not be the best thing to do as changing water usualy means a possible waver of water perimiter's which to young fry could potentially prove more fatal than doing smaller water changes over a longer period of time to flush the cause out of the system.

in the past i have had the same thing happen to me part of the lore when your standing in the lfs is that you think. "hey i pay £1.50 each for the pregnant ones and next week i'll have loads" (in theory saving a bit of cash right ? But no its wrong the problem is that we skip over the sensible fact that is lodged somewhere in the depths of our brain *All living things are more prone to disease, illness and stress when pregnant* this is because whilst pregnant the immune system makes comprimises as to not reject the baby/babies causing an abortion or miscarriage whilst also weakening the immunity for the pregnant one as its priority is to protect the weakest of the two, the weakest being the younger ...

....*edit*....

*After the parent has given birth she may be stressed, hungry and very weak but also her immune system may take a while to return to functioning correctly it is usually wise to leave her seperated from not only the main tank but also from the fry as it is commonly known for a new mother to consume her young due to hunger and mistaken identity for food, 24 hours is usually enough time for the female to regain her strengths and be ready to be re- introduced to the main tank though this seperation can be prolonged if you do not feel she is ready.*

yes that is a bit of a long read and if you managed to make it to the end you did well
smile.png

I am not a profesional on this matter but that novel i just wrote may help to give you somewhat of a more complex understanding of at least some possible useless information i have been storing in a forgotten corner of my mind,

Any other readers can feel free to correct me if any of that seems wrong or if i may of missed something?

also, sorry but i have not had much practice as a writer in a long time so there may be numerous gramatical and spelling errors need i mention the posibility of incorrectly utilised words but thanks for taking the time to read my over excessive technical explainations
smile.png

good luck and let us know how it goes
thumbs-up.gif

I do have the fry in the main tank, just because I wanted them to have proper filtration while they were just born, a coworker of mine who bred fish for years told me he just used an airstone and some water changes in his fry tanks and they were fine. I will be putting them back in to the 10 gallon tonight since I got a new airhose ( cats chewed through the old one )

The 3rd female I put in the 10 gallon is fine, and has been for a few days along with one of the males that was put in the tank. I went back to the LFS today and the tank the guppies were in were almost wiped out and what was left was infected with something, so it wasn't anything I did that ended up killing the moms, all I can concentrate on now is getting those 8 fry to adulthood

Congratulations on the fry, hope they all grow nice and pretty to adulthood.
I personally would never keep fry in uncycled tank relying on water changes. This is a fry killer and the amount of food alone you need to put for the fry to grow will cause ammonia spikes all the time.
However, if the tank with guppies in the LFS was wiped out, I would be really concerned of putting any fish in the main tank that have been in contact with the diseased fish, that's of course if you hadn't already done it.
Best thing is to get a cycled media from your old filter and put it in the filter in the fry tank, monitor the levels but if you put enough of cycled media it should instantly cycle the tank.

Well its been almost a week and the 2 guppies that were put in the tank after the adult died ( I didnt put them there ) are ok and show no signs of any harm so I'm believing all signs will point to yes. I'm picking up a new tank for my livebearers today and when I get back moving the fry back into the 10g tank. I dont have a fully cycled filter for the fry tank I might pick up a sponge filter if they have any at the lfs but even then it wont have the bacteria it needs, I'll have to keep it in my main tank until the next fry batch from my future fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back