final stocking plans

Sharoane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, plans have changed again for my 30 gallon. I started out with three danios and a pleco--the pleco, common, is only two and a half inches long and is moving to a 55 gallon as soon as we get one set up and cycled, lfs sold him to us with no mention of his final size--with plans to add some cories, a school of diamond tetras and a few dwarf gourami.

Well, otos were just too cute to pass up so about a month ago we added four. Up until this weekend they were doing fine, but one disappeared (he might still be there, the tank went through an algae bloom but is finally almost totally cleared up) and another got sick. The other two are doing great.

We decided diamond tetras were just too much of a headache--expensive and hard to find healthy ones around here--so my gf pointed to some rummy-noses and said she liked those better. We've decided that the final stocking of the tank will look something like this:

3 danios
10 or so rummy-nose tetras
4 or 5 otos
2 or 3 dwarf gourami

It'll probably end up being a few less tetras and only two dwarves so we don't push the stocking limits too hard, but I've heard that tetras don't really put out as much waste as most fish and with two good-sized whisper filters going and frequent water changes we should be okay. I plan on adding the fish in increments--three or four small fish at a time--and keep a close eye on the levels. If worse comes to worse we'll get the danios a tank of their own and add a few for their entertainment.

Any advice/comments would be welcome!

Most reactions

Back