Fin Rot Or Nipping?

Fishy412

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, there was a period where my 55 gallon tank was.....neglected. Now a few of my fish have chunks missing from their caudal fins. My Severum is by far the worst off. My Festivum only has one spot of damage, and my Rainbow cichlid had quite a bit of damage too but it has mostly healed. When I first saw this i immediately thought of Fin Rot, but then noticed that none of my Pim Pictus had any fin damage whatsoever. Is there anything characteristic about fin rot (e.g ragged edges, other symptoms) or would it appear the same way as nipping? I also have a Calvus in the tank, but it is much smaller than any other inhabitant and is very timid. The water conditions tested out normal.
 
Nipping should have clean edges on the fins. Fin rot (from what I can remember... it's been a long while) has softer edges to it. That is, it's like the fin wore away and has some ghosting. I do remember that when I treated my old tank that had botia modestas, their fins grew back clear and then their orange coloring filled in.
 
ugh, definitely fin rot then. Treatment should be water changes, more protein, and possibly melafix correct?
 
I remember using Maracyn. Worked like a charm and a couple of friends have used the stuff and saved their fish too. I've never used Melafix; so I can't say good or bad things about it.
 
Thanks, I'll take a look for Maracyn tomorrow. I dont think any of these fish are in any danger whatsoever of dying, i'd just rather not take the chance haha.
 
Well, it was less than optimal but all I could find was Maracyn-2, which is for gram-negative(?) instead of gram-positive (Maracyn) bacteria, but from what i've read it should have had some affect. Unfortunately I also bought the packets, which said one packet for every 10 gallons of water. Unfortunately, only bought 8 packets, so i did 1 packet, then 2, then 2, then finished with 3 on the last day. I think when I go back to the LFS soon I'm just going to try the Melafix/Pimafix cure. My fish are all starting to regrow their fins, and my rainbow basically has his whole tail back and it's starting to color up already. Still thinking of adding another tankmate when theyre all healthy again but im also told my tank might be full
 
I personally like the Mardel products. Maracyn-2 should work. What size is the tank ? Not sure if you used enough. Did you follow the recommended dose completely ? Melafix is a good product for healing but does not kill bacterial infections.
 
I personally like the Mardel products. Maracyn-2 should work. What size is the tank ? Not sure if you used enough. Did you follow the recommended dose completely ? Melafix is a good product for healing but does not kill bacterial infections.
its a 55 so i didnt use nearly enough. I think i'm just gonna go the natural route via water changes and lots of protein.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top