Fin Rot?? Help in healing my sick fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bettamom

Reaction score
Please, any advice could help. For the last 2 weeks my betta has been loosing color in his fins/tails and they began to look tattered. After some research i concluded he has fin rot. He has been undergoing treatment with tetracycline Hydrochoride capsules for the past 4 days. Yesterday the ends of his fins/tails turned black and seemed to be shorter than before. Is he getting better or worse?? If you have any suggestions or have delt with this before please post anything!!!! He also has small white specs located on his fins/tails i believe this is ich, once again any suggestions on treatment or how to tell if he is getting better please let me know.

Tank info:
"captain"- my betta is housed in a one gallon tank w/ air pump all alone
one ceramic sand castle and one plastic tree. Marbles and glass stones line the bottom of his tank.

Don't you just hate it when your betas are sick? :( You're betta isn’t doing so well huh? IMO, if your betta has ich I would treat that 1st (Ich, looks like little grains of salt, your betta will be rubbing up on anything and everything). There are a lot of meds out there for that, but it you have a heater and can set if up to 82 degrees little by little that would be better. As the higher temp speeds up the process for the ich parasite. The fin rot, I would treat that with BettaMax it’s not to harsh and does the trick. Also, I would get rid of the plastic tree, that’s not helping the betta's fins as plastic rips the betta's fins. Hope this helps

Heya

Sorry to hear about your betta, I just had 2 crowntails get wicked finrot. I cured it, but now they have miserable looking tails. Poor guys.

Keep your water CLEAN. Do 50% changes every other day, maybe. In my experience, fin rot is no less lethal than ich, I've had fish die of finrot over night before I could even go to the petstore the next day to get meds. Synastic is correct, use silk plants instead of plastic, and you might consider removing the castle, even..

Try and make sure that it is in fact ich, not fungus, if you raise the temp to 82. A temp of 82 will indeed kill off ich very quickly, but warm temperatures can make fungus thrive even faster.. Fungus is kind of bigger, and sticks out off of the body. Ich is flatter and more salt-like.

I dunno about switching meds over to bettamax if you're already mid-treatment with another. I say finish out that treatment, then try switching when it is done if it hasn't cured it. Just my opinion.

HTH

Most reactions

Back