Fin Rot And Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Last night I noticed that my new betta had ich. There were spots on his tail and he was rubbing a lot. He wasn't gasping and, although he was resting a lot, he didn't appear to be too sick.
tumblr_mtyfpaXAyF1s0off3o1_1280.jpg

I did a 20% water-change and treated the water with Contra-Spot which I had in my box of medicines. I bumped the temperature up to 85F (29c), which is the highest the heater in his tank goes. I did another 20% change and treatment this morning. And tonight:
tumblr_mu0gubMRvx1s0off3o1_1280.jpg

Voila! No spots. What there is, however, is significant damage to his beautiful tail. He's looking pretty droopy too.  Does this look like simple damage from rubbing against everything in the tank? Or do you guys think it's fin rot? Is it even possible to have both? The pale fringe where the tail is ripped is worrying me.

He's in an 8 gallon planted tank with no other tank mates. The substrate is new. The plants came from other tanks of mine, but none of them have had any diseases in the last 2 years.

Some more photos:
tumblr_mu0hchsqyI1s0off3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mu0hchsqyI1s0off3o2_1280.jpg

He doesn't stay still for photos unless i put my finger in to keep him interested.

Although he does look a little droopy, he doesn't appear clamped which is a good thing.  It is good that the spots are gone but you still need to treat for ICH for at least 7 days after the last spot has disappeared to make sure you get rid of all the parasites.  As for his caudal fin, I see the same damage in all the photos.  Whatever damaged it did so before or around the same time you noticed he had ICH as it shows up in the first pic.  The first pic looks like he had bitten it himself and then the later pics look just a little worse so he might have a slight touch of fin rot.  This is not surprising though if he had an ICH outbreak which means that his immune system was lowered already by that parasite which would open up a way for other "nasties" to take a hold.  Keep his water really clean and warm and his fin will heal.  

Wildbetta said:
Although he does look a little droopy, he doesn't appear clamped which is a good thing.  It is good that the spots are gone but you still need to treat for ICH for at least 7 days after the last spot has disappeared to make sure you get rid of all the parasites.  As for his caudal fin, I see the same damage in all the photos.  Whatever damaged it did so before or around the same time you noticed he had ICH as it shows up in the first pic.  The first pic looks like he had bitten it himself and then the later pics look just a little worse so he might have a slight touch of fin rot.  This is not surprising though if he had an ICH outbreak which means that his immune system was lowered already by that parasite which would open up a way for other "nasties" to take a hold.  Keep his water really clean and warm and his fin will heal.  
Thank you! I think he's just a bit weak and vulnerable after the ich, although I'm pleased that he appears to have shaken it off quickly. Would adding aquarium salt help him heal? Or would that be a bad idea with the ich treatment still going?

Adding a small bit of salt shouldn't be too big of an issue.  It actually might help with any remaining ICH parasites.  

Wildbetta said:
Adding a small bit of salt shouldn't be too big of an issue.  It actually might help with any remaining ICH parasites.  
Cheers. I'll get that started tomorrow.

The same thing is happening to my betta. In a couple of minutes I will try to post some pictures of him. Also,I am not completely sure, but by the looks of his scales, it looks like he might be devolping dropsy. I might be wrong, and I certainly hope so (It was really hard for me when my first fish got dropsy). Either that or you have a really pretty and dark betta ;).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back